Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish with ICH? Please help!

I've noticed this week that some fish were swimming sideways against rocks, not all the time but occasionally, not all the fish are doing it either, I don't see most of them doing it now, except for my Venustus, which I also noticed today that he is "resting" on the internal overflow intake, right on the plastic bars where the water goes into the overflow, it seems like he likes the waterflow or something. I also noticed that he wants to be alone by himself, more than usual, and I don't know if it's me (because my light is broken) or if it really happened: I think his body is a little bit more pale than a few days ago, but no white spots or other signs of ICH that I know of, I don't have experience with Ich, so I'm not an expert at diagnosing it. He is about 4" - 5" and not fully colored, yet.

Also, another of my fish, did the same "swimming sideways" thing and I see that he has 5 or six single grains of sand spread on each side of him, it looks like sand, but if it was sand it should come off by swimming, but it's not a big white spot like each. It's like when you put salt on your french fries, several grains but separated from each other. I saw some pics online of fish with ICK and they look worse than my fish, but quite similar at the same time.

How can I diagnose if it's ICH?

If you guys think it's ICK for sure, how should I begin treatment? I was reading about treating with heat + salt.

Please help! Thank you!

Is this normal?
Do you think something is wrong?

Water:
Temperature: 80 F
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: Under 10 PPM

Please help! Thanks.

fddlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pictures showing the possible ICH:

Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The picture does sort of look like ich, what your looking for is tiny white spots that look like grains of salt. If you see these signs then I would proceed with the heat+salt method.

This is a perfect example of why you should QT your fish for 3-4 weeks before introducing them to the main tank.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

Looks like ICH to me also. Heat+salt as mentioned above is the route I'd go.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the maximum temp for your fishes? It is ideal to raise temp to 86F and dose salt. Check this link. I had an ich outbreak and Tim whitley helped me. In this thread are the info on how to treat ich with salt and high temp...

Is this ich? HELP!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

It looks like ICH for sure. When I had it in my tank I took out all the media from my filter so that all it did was circulate the water. Adjusted my temp to 86. Added salt and a API ICH attack. Also did 25% water changes daily. Cleared up in about two weeks. If you can, you also can quarantine fish that are really effected and treat them more intensely. Good luck it drove me nutts!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone! Thanks roydooms for the link! Very helpful.

I'm raising the temp. gradually, it was 80.5 last night and it's at 83 F now, will try to raise it to 87 by Friday afternoon, because I'm leaving Friday night and coming back Sunday night. I will leave my dad in charge of adding the salt and feeding the fish.

Nitrates are 10 PPM, so I will do a PWC today and start adding salt tomorrow. I can still add salt while the temp. is still raising right?

One thing I don't fully understand is how to add the salt? Get a cup of aquarium water and dissolve the necessary amount of salt to get to 2-3 tablespoons salt per 5 gallons and add it to the tank (away from the fish and close to the return pipe)? or should I add it gradually? If so, how?

After I finish the first dose of salt, how often should I add salt again? If I'm not planning on doing any water changes during treatment

I think that the parasite is in the free swimming stage now because I see fewer spots on the fish I pictured above.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fddlss
Thanks everyone! Thanks roydooms for the link! Very helpful.

I'm raising the temp. gradually, it was 80.5 last night and it's at 83 F now, will try to raise it to 87 by Friday afternoon, because I'm leaving Friday night and coming back Sunday night. I will leave my dad in charge of adding the salt and feeding the fish.

Nitrates are 10 PPM, so I will do a PWC today and start adding salt tomorrow. I can still add salt while the temp. is still raising right?

One thing I don't fully understand is how to add the salt? Get a cup of aquarium water and dissolve the necessary amount of salt to get to 2-3 tablespoons salt per 5 gallons and add it to the tank (away from the fish and close to the return pipe)? or should I add it gradually? If so, how?

After I finish the first dose of salt, how often should I add salt again? If I'm not planning on doing any water changes during treatment

I think that the parasite is in the free swimming stage now because I see fewer spots on the fish I pictured above.
Yes, you can add salt while the temp is going up. You are right about getting aquarium water and dissolving the salt before adding it in the tank. I would do PWC because once the ich falls off the fish it will go in/on the substrate to mature to find a new host. If you clean the gravel, you will rid of most of the cysts that's in the substrate. Making the treatment a lot faster than not cleaning the substrate.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I did a PWC I put the new water in a big container first. Then add salt just for how many gallon the container before adding in the tank. That way you are sure that you're adding jut the right amount of salt.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! Should I add the whole dosis of salt at once or gradually? If so, how?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com