Floundering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here I am with my 29 gallon still fishless cycling and quite frankly I haven't a clue what I am going to put in it. Every time I think I make a decision I change my mind.

First I was thinking cories and rams and cherry barbs, then in the next breath I move over to the cichlid side.

My bf is starting to mock me, which I will not have. I am a very decisive person but for some reason this is keeping me awake at night.

My water params at last check are:
pH 8.0
kH 6
gH 10

I really don't want to fight to get the pH down, so I am looking for something that will get along swimmingly in the water I was cursed with.

Any ideas?!?!?! The only fish that I am not too crazy about are tetras (serpae) and rainbows.

A ph of 8.0 is ideal for african cichlids. Maybe some yellow labs?

But most fish are adapted quite well to conditions that differ from their natural habitat, because they are now being bred in waters that have higher ph.

You could try some keyhole cichlids! :p I think they are less sensitive then Rams. A pair?
Together with that a school of cories (5)? And maybe some harlequin rasboras?

Good luck deciding :wink:

How big do keyholes get? Do you have to keep them in pairs or 1/m 2/f? Anything you can tell me about them would be appreciated as I am at work and can't do much research at the moment.

Well I think my tank is cycled!

Amm=0
Ite=0
Ate=20

So I think I will continue adding ammonia for a few more days to be sure, but in the meantime I think I should stop at the LFS on the way home from work. Just to see what they have. And now I have to do some research on what the heck 'lake tangs' are like. lol

Keyholes are kept in pairs. Male+female. Best is to buy 5 juveniles to begin with, and return three once you get a pair. You have to be patient for them to pair up though, mine took almost 5-6 months!

Just remind everyone that fish can live for many years and are pets. If you went o get a dog you wouldn't just go get something with four legs that barks..

Yer not indecisive your just making a carefully skilled decision! Kudos to you..

Moooo

Back
Top Bottom