Flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got a new FH a few weeks ago. He has settled in really well, and it has a very outgoing personality. It ate from my hand immediately. It has a nice electric blue flower line, decent pink/red overall color, and a huge kok. Like, its hump is maybe 1/2" and the overall length of the fish is maybe 3". And the kok makes up a third of his height. Its a "water kok" which is the type that can potentially grow very large and it has a good start already.

Right now it is in my 75. Currently with a pair of Cons, a Midevil, another FH and my Texas. All are 2-3" except the Texas which is nearly 7". The male Con might be 4". The aim of this is to try to pick out a new wet pet. The Texas has the aggressive nature and size i want but absolutely cant live with any other fish unless its in a decent sized group like i have. He has killed or eaten about $100 of fish by now.

The FH that i described above is his potential replacement. I am thinking that i need to keep him alone with the Cons for his sake, although he gets along with the other FH very well so i might try it for a while. He is getting picked on just a bit by the Midevil, and that fish will be going regardless. So yeah. Only would need (really really want) it to live with a pair of Cons.

Also i have a few questions on growth. Will feeding one thing exclusively be helpful for color and kok development? Or should it be a diet of many different things? Im really looking to get a more intense red and a bigger kok.

Its going to be a difficult decision on whether i should keep my favorite Texas or try to have a FH that could possible live long term with another fish.

Hybrid aside do you have any preferences between a Tex and an FH. Im 100% not looking for a hybrid debate, so I'm just looking for experiences with personality and such. Also in growth rate average and personality. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

as for food for the flower horn just do a google search. There is food specifically for flower horns that promotes growth and color.
As far as what I would keep would be either the texas or midevil. Either will give you 10 years or better of satisfaction as a wet pet. I believe flower horns are around 5 years on average. Lastly no matter what one you pick the 75 is only good for 1 of them. All the cons will do is add to the bio load.

as for food for the flower horn just do a google search. There is food specifically for flower horns that promotes growth and color.

As far as what I would keep would be either the texas or midevil. Either will give you 10 years or better of satisfaction as a wet pet. I believe flower horns are around 5 years on average. Lastly no matter what one you pick the 75 is only good for 1 of them. All the cons will do is add to the bio load.

I know there are foods that are able to improve kok structure, not sure if they are healthy or not. Apparently some are full of hormones and stuff? I can look into if it further but i would be interested in opinions.

As for lifespan... I was under the impression that FHs live about the same lifespan as others? I know some hybrids or color varieties of certain fish (such as EBJD) but i thought that FH are usually tough and live the same lifespan.

I will leave tank size alone, as I'm tired of those arguments. But I'm interested in pints listed above.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Did you buy this LB?
You're a smart guy who is in a never ending battle with his dimensions. Work out a way to increase them, or find smaller, less aggressive fish to thrive in your 75.
We all have to abide by these laws.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My friend, that tank is way overstocked and I'm inclined to believe it's going to turn into a disaster with the temperaments of the fish you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom