Flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Frank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start a tank with 1 Flowerhorn and I would love to aquascape it to replicate the Flowerhorn’s natural environment but because the Flowerhorn is cross bread (it doesn’t have a natural environment) I want to replicate the environment of the fish that have been crossed to breed the Flowerhorn. What fish were bread to create the Flowerhorn and where did they come from?
I have also been told not to scape the tank because the Flowerhorn can damage itself on sharp decorations/equipment.
Also what are some types of Flowerhorn that are beautiful but also cost affective?

What do you guys think about all this?

I would love to hear from you.
Thanks very much.

- Fish Frank

Fish Frank, I think that the flowerhorn is a hybrid constructed of several different South American cichlids. The Midas / blood parrot / red devil and probably others were used. South American fish, in particular cichlids are my favorites. I've kept everything from rams to the terrors, but I have not raised flowerhorn.
I have seen them at LFS with quality ranging from bland to ornate, all were expensive. I saw a huge flowerhorn in a 40 gal. Breeder tank at a mom & pop LFS. So big it could barely swim.
As for aquascaping, rounded relatively heavy rocks, gravel and driftwood. I don't believe they hide much and are more mid level swimmers.
As for tankmates, red terror (festae) salvini, green terror, ect. Might also add silver dollars. I've got a large school of them in with a tank full of very aggressive cichlids and they thrive. As for keeping one solo, that's more a matter of taste than necessity. As long as your tank is large enough, well hardscaped and all aggressive tankmates are Introduced as juveniles at the same time you got a good chance for success. Good luck.

Fish Frank, I think that the flowerhorn is a hybrid constructed of several different South American cichlids. The Midas / blood parrot / red devil and probably others were used. South American fish, in particular cichlids are my favorites. I've kept everything from rams to the terrors, but I have not raised flowerhorn.

I have seen them at LFS with quality ranging from bland to ornate, all were expensive. I saw a huge flowerhorn in a 40 gal. Breeder tank at a mom & pop LFS. So big it could barely swim.

As for aquascaping, rounded relatively heavy rocks, gravel and driftwood. I don't believe they hide much and are more mid level swimmers.

As for tankmates, red terror (festae) salvini, green terror, ect. Might also add silver dollars. I've got a large school of them in with a tank full of very aggressive cichlids and they thrive. As for keeping one solo, that's more a matter of taste than necessity. As long as your tank is large enough, well hardscaped and all aggressive tankmates are Introduced as juveniles at the same time you got a good chance for success. Good luck.

Thanks. Great advice![emoji1303]

Flowerhorn can refer to a bunch of a different hybrids. Originally, flowerhorns were probably trimacs crossed with....something else. These days any crosses of SA/CA cichlids are often sold as Flowerhorns.

The original, and most common kind, are usually exceptionally aggressive and intolerant of other cichlids/large fish once they reach maturity. Overstocking with aggressive SA/CA cichlids is much more difficult than with African cichlids so I would not recommend this approach unless you are an experienced aquarist willing to manage the consequences.

As for the cost, like with most slow growing species, it is all about size. You can get a 1.5-2" flowerhorn for very little money. A 4-5" fish will be expensive and a 12" fish will be much more expensive. Unfortunately, they do not develop much coloration until they get larger so you really won't know what you are getting unless you buy a young adult.

Flowerhorn can refer to a bunch of a different hybrids. Originally, flowerhorns were probably trimacs crossed with....something else. These days any crosses of SA/CA cichlids are often sold as Flowerhorns.

The original, and most common kind, are usually exceptionally aggressive and intolerant of other cichlids/large fish once they reach maturity. Overstocking with aggressive SA/CA cichlids is much more difficult than with African cichlids so I would not recommend this approach unless you are an experienced aquarist willing to manage the consequences.

As for the cost, like with most slow growing species, it is all about size. You can get a 1.5-2" flowerhorn for very little money. A 4-5" fish will be expensive and a 12" fish will be much more expensive. Unfortunately, they do not develop much coloration until they get larger so you really won't know what you are getting unless you buy a young adult.

Thanks for the advice dalto.

Back
Top Bottom