Flowerhorn tank mate question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool...but this is just an idea which may work....and provided the experience we have in this forum, I would really like some experts to provide their point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this catfish who I was told was an upside down catfish at my lfs...is he a syno by chance? I was just curious because of the spots...sorry he never let's me get a good pic.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396322423747.jpg
    1396322423747.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1396322438722.jpg
    1396322438722.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 67
Ur pictures are not very clear...m not sure....the one I am talking about is Featherfin squeaker or featherfin synodontis(synodontis eupterus)....should look likeImageUploadedByTapatalk1396323141.469217.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396323167.340276.jpg

Upside down is synodontis nigriventris...both are syno's and worth keeping...only thing is m not sure if upside down's are as aggressive a featherfin's or not..

Upside down is synodontis nigriventris...both are syno's and worth keeping...only thing is m not sure if upside down's are as aggressive a featherfin's or not..

His fin looks similar...but he always hides...

Attachments

• 1396324428289.jpg
    1396324428289.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 60
6.6-7 inches probably...he always stays hidden and I have never seen him eat. However, there is never food at the bottom of the tank he clears everything and has at least doubled in size since I got him.

Cool....nywy he is a syno...so can try him out...put him in the tank first...let him settle down...keep a pvc pipe or something like that in the tank, so that he can hide if required...

Cool....nywy he is a syno...so can try him out...put him in the tank first...let him settle down...keep a pvc pipe or something like that in the tank, so that he can hide if required...

Cool thanks, I'll try it out. I appreciate all the help!

No issues....do make sure u upgrade them to a bigger tank in near future...55gal is not sufficient..cheers!!?

That's synodontis eupturus.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a tank on a flowerhorn, but that's just me and a discussion that won't typically end well, so I'll avoid that. At any rate, aggression has been heightened in many flowerhorns due to the hybridization. I would not put tankmates in a tank as small as a 75, let alone a 55. A pleco is a terrible idea, seeing as a single hypostomus plecostomus needs a 100 gallon minimum due to their size and bioload. If the fish already has a "mean streak" and is still small, it's going to get worse, not better.

I completely agree with you...I dont like hybrids as well. No flowerhorns no blood parrots, but again as u said...it's completely my point of view...I would rather house a Datnoid or an endlicheri

I wish I found this forum before I started. I like my fish though and can't really say I regret having anything as of yet as every fish is still new to me. Thanks again for everyone's opinions and help.

Ur 55 is fine for now. Blood parrots usually do ok with flowerhorns. A lot of the newer flowerhorns are bred a little smaller which is even better for 55s. Get into the FH hobby. You'll love it!

Back
Top Bottom