Flowerhorns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know, I know... Most people think they are an abomination, and don't want anything to do with them, but I know there must be a couple of you that enjoy them.

I'm not saying that I'll buy one, or that I even want one. But I am interested in finding out where all these names came from. What makes one better than the other, etc.
There simply isn't a lot of information that I can find on them. I know the basics, patterning and bigger humps makes them more valuable, but what else is there? Pearling, faders, MD's?

Anyways, someone could help me with this that'd be great. I personally won't call you out, but if you'd rather PM me about it just in case, please do

I should also add, this isn't a debate on whether they are bad for the hobby or anything of the sort, just a thread asking for some information about them.

Last edited:
I know, I know... Most people think they are an abomination, and don't want anything to do with them.

Yes that is true.

I'm not saying that I'll buy one, or that I even want one. But I am interested in finding out where all these names came from. What makes one better than the other, etc.
There simply isn't a lot of information that I can find on them. I know the basics, patterning and bigger humps makes them more valuable, but what else is there? Pearling, faders, MD's?

Firstly let us understands what does ZZ mean. ZZ = zenzu (mandarin) = pearls. So what is a ZZ pearls? As you can see the earliest of ZZ do not have any pearls dots on their body so how did they come about the name pearls? For your information, the pearls on the ZZ means the each dark flowerline found on the ZZ body which was surrounded by some metalic hue & glow which resemble a black pearl shine. You may want to get back to your ZZ flowerhorn now to know what I am saying.

This is the flowerline that determine the grade of a ZZ.

Grade A - flowerline should be more than 75% to 100%.
Grade B - flowerline should be more than 50% to 75%.
Grade C - flowerline which are less than 50% or only a few dots.

From Grade A, we could gradually know if the ZZ is going to be a AA or AAA later by determining the growth traits of the fish with the written explanation.
1. Kok - the bigger the better.
2. Colors - the more solid & colorful the better.
3. Body - the stout & thicker the better.
4. Finnage & Tail - Balance & proportion.
5. Flowerline - the darker & more shiny pearls surround it the better.

Thank you HUKIT!

I found a couple of sites last night finally, one was flowerhornsrus and another was something I can't remember the name of, but it seemed like they had pretty good info on them, except grading.

What about all the different names though? Like ZZ, Super Red Dragons, Kamfa, thai Silk, etc., are different ones better than others? is it just different base coloring? Or different crosses?

There are so many different acronyms and names for them it is kind of ridiculous.

Yes that is true.

Firstly let us understands what does ZZ mean. ZZ = zenzu (mandarin) = pearls. So what is a ZZ pearls? As you can see the earliest of ZZ do not have any pearls dots on their body so how did they come about the name pearls? For your information, the pearls on the ZZ means the each dark flowerline found on the ZZ body which was surrounded by some metalic hue & glow which resemble a black pearl shine. You may want to get back to your ZZ flowerhorn now to know what I am saying.

This is the flowerline that determine the grade of a ZZ.

Grade A - flowerline should be more than 75% to 100%.
Grade B - flowerline should be more than 50% to 75%.
Grade C - flowerline which are less than 50% or only a few dots.

From Grade A, we could gradually know if the ZZ is going to be a AA or AAA later by determining the growth traits of the fish with the written explanation.
1. Kok - the bigger the better.
2. Colors - the more solid & colorful the better.
3. Body - the stout & thicker the better.
4. Finnage & Tail - Balance & proportion.
5. Flowerline - the darker & more shiny pearls surround it the better.

For someone that can't stand hybrids, you sure know a lot about them. You sure you're not secretly breeding these things and selling them on the black market under the name Tikuh!!! Lol

For someone that can't stand hybrids, you sure know a lot about them. You sure you're not secretly breeding these things and selling them on the black market under the name Tikuh!!! Lol

Copy and paste my friend. I actually like some of them from a appearance aspect but loathe them from a ethical, purist, and cichlid snob one.

Copy and paste my friend. I actually like some of them from a appearance aspect but loathe them from a ethical, purist, and cichlid snob one.

I figured as much but I gotta take shots at ya when I can bro!!!

Where did you find that?

Every time I google flowerhorns I tend to end up with articles about them being horrible creatures.

Back
Top Bottom