Flowerhorns-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacifico

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple of months ago, I set up my first tank in several years. After quite a bit of thinking/research, I opted to get a few SA cichlids; more specifically: a Red Devil (approx. 4.5"), a Green Terror (approx 2.5"), and a pair of Convicts. (A small Pleco as well.) With Christmas approaching, it appears that there is a good chance that my girlfriend will get me another tank. (Without getting into several long and unnecessary stories, I would speculate the size to be in the 75-100 gallon range.)

At any rate, I recently came accross the Flowerhorn. The only ones I had seen were $300+, so I never really expected to get one (although I was intrigued by all the stories that I had read about them). Much to my surprise, a LFS had two for sale! One was apparantly bred by a local & sold to the store--its coloration was being called "Supernova." It is roughly the size of my Red Devil listed above (and very beautiful). The second was what I see refered to as the "King Kong Jong"--similar looking to a mature Red Devil--and about 10" in length.

To the point: would it be possible for the "Supernova" to be in this new tank with the others? Would it eventually become too territorial? Finally, what, if any, cichlids make good tank-mates for Flowerhorns? Wait, I lied... last question for real: what are appropriate tank decorations for Flowerhorns? (Stacks of rocks & some driftwood?) Thanks in advance!

in short, no, they won't get along. a 10in flowerhorn will kill everything in your tank.

they are a species only tank fish.

Dang, that's a shame :-(.

In response to TankGirl: I actually saw a little article on owners being bitten by their FH's while cleaning the tank and such... That's crazy! Personally, though, I like a fish with some attitude; would you want a dog that just slept and ate all day? I wouldn't.

I think I may still give the FH a shot (in the tank by itself). Thanks for your help.

Pacifico said:
... That's crazy! Personally, though, I like a fish with some attitude; would you want a dog that just slept and ate all day? I wouldn't...

You won't catch me keeping a dog that bites the hand which feeds it.

i had an absolutely beautiful FH in an oscar tank. it was fight night at the forum until i took him out. when i put him in his own tank he proceeded to bite me and then my g/f. the nice thing was when i went to sell him i got 75$ for him...and i only paid 25$.

they are beautiful, but can be a gigantic pain the behind.

I'd get him and keep in in his own tank. Great fish and great personality. Will probably let you pet him once he gets to know you. Will eat from your hand, and some are arguably the best looking fish that you can find for freshwater.

So would you all say FH's are meaner than Dovii's? I hear they can be pretty mean too.

Depends on the fish, but from my experience FH's are mean just to be mean seems that they like to fight, where a Dovii will usually only fight when it knows it will win. Both are big tough fish and you won't be disappointed with either

Back
Top Bottom