Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fluval canister arrangements

My fluval 205 has 3 trays. The bottom tray has a 50/50 divider with a 30g satchel of carbon in each. The top 2 trays are filled with biomax.

What's the best canister combination top to bottom?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbox View Post
My fluval 205 has 3 trays. The bottom tray has a 50/50 divider with a 30g satchel of carbon in each. The top 2 trays are filled with biomax.

What's the best canister combination top to bottom?
Ok, try this and you will have crystal clear water.
Bottom tray- Course then medium pad(if your tray only holds one thick pad, then go with a course pad)
Middle Tray- Bio-Media(keep what you have)
Top Tray- Stuff as much Filter Floss/Polyfill in this tray as possible. If you have a polishing pad already, put this on top of the floss. It stops any loose floss clogging the motor/impella.
Finally put a 100g bag of Seachem Purigen on top of the floss(so it's the last thing water goes through). Purigen polishes the water...
You can buy large bags of polyfil in craft stores for a few dollars and it will last a very, very long time. I use the stuffing from cheap bed pillows($1-$2) in Walmart etc. Make sure any floss you use is 100% polyfil, no additives(fireproofing etc). Give the floss a good rinse in used tank water...
Sometimes when you first set it up like this, your water MIGHT go slightly cloudy. Don't panic, it'll clear in a day or so.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You don't have any sponge/foam? My 406 and I think all Fluvals, flows bottom to top.

If you have no foam I would replace your carbon all together with a sponge. Then your bio rings if you have another level, I'd recommend polyfill on top.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
You don't have any sponge/foam? My 406 and I think all Fluvals, flows bottom to top.

If you have no foam I would replace your carbon all together with a sponge. Then your bio rings if you have another level, I'd recommend polyfill on top.
Also look into Seachem Matrix, an excellent bio-media...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been hob forever and just started up this canister 2 days ago. It's going to be a game changer for sure! So Pack in the poly and seachem on top? Is there much risk of flow restrictions Since I don't have plants?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've been hob forever and just started up this canister 2 days ago. It's going to be a game changer for sure! So Pack in the poly and seachem on top? Is there much risk of flow restrictions Since I don't have plants?
Do you mean flow restrictions from the canister itself, with the extra media???
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm just thinking too much polyfil after a few weeks of filtering water may clog up and slow the flow. How often are you changing yours out?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm just thinking too much polyfil after a few weeks of filtering water may clog up and slow the flow. How often are you changing yours out?
Yeah it will slow it...slightly. It's not that much though for the benefit it gives. Keep your hobs going with it and you'll have sparkling water. Even put some polyfil in the hobs. I put it in all my filters. It actually doesn't clogg that much, it's only fine particals going through it. I changed mine last Sat and that was the first time in 6 months for me. I clean out the canister every 3 months and just rinse the polyfil in old tank water and give it a good squeeze... I am very happy with my water and would not go without it(polyfil!!)
IMO, you can never have too much polyfil, i have a fully stocked 55g community...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6598~1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	157808  
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 405
Purigen
Matrix
Matrix
Poly-fil
Bottom ^

The matrix has a better surface area for bacteria to form, compared to the bio rings.
Carbon is only good for a few months,were the purigen can be washed and "recharged".
Poly-fil is just a cheap water polisher than works wonders. Gets all the floaters from messy eaters!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the great canister filtration intel and polyfil endorsement! I'll toss the carbon and insert a course and medium pad in the bottom 50/50 tray. What are the best pads/sponges to get?

Tags
canister, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com