Fluval canister arrangements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fluval 205 has 3 trays. The bottom tray has a 50/50 divider with a 30g satchel of carbon in each. The top 2 trays are filled with biomax.

What's the best canister combination top to bottom?

My fluval 205 has 3 trays. The bottom tray has a 50/50 divider with a 30g satchel of carbon in each. The top 2 trays are filled with biomax.

What's the best canister combination top to bottom?
Ok, try this and you will have crystal clear water.
Bottom tray- Course then medium pad(if your tray only holds one thick pad, then go with a course pad)
Middle Tray- Bio-Media(keep what you have)
Top Tray- Stuff as much Filter Floss/Polyfill in this tray as possible. If you have a polishing pad already, put this on top of the floss. It stops any loose floss clogging the motor/impella.
Finally put a 100g bag of Seachem Purigen on top of the floss(so it's the last thing water goes through). Purigen polishes the water...
You can buy large bags of polyfil in craft stores for a few dollars and it will last a very, very long time. I use the stuffing from cheap bed pillows($1-$2) in Walmart etc. Make sure any floss you use is 100% polyfil, no additives(fireproofing etc). Give the floss a good rinse in used tank water...
Sometimes when you first set it up like this, your water MIGHT go slightly cloudy. Don't panic, it'll clear in a day or so.

You don't have any sponge/foam? My 406 and I think all Fluvals, flows bottom to top.

If you have no foam I would replace your carbon all together with a sponge. Then your bio rings if you have another level, I'd recommend polyfill on top.

You don't have any sponge/foam? My 406 and I think all Fluvals, flows bottom to top.

If you have no foam I would replace your carbon all together with a sponge. Then your bio rings if you have another level, I'd recommend polyfill on top.
:agree: Also look into Seachem Matrix, an excellent bio-media...

I've been hob forever and just started up this canister 2 days ago. It's going to be a game changer for sure! So Pack in the poly and seachem on top? Is there much risk of flow restrictions Since I don't have plants?

I've been hob forever and just started up this canister 2 days ago. It's going to be a game changer for sure! So Pack in the poly and seachem on top? Is there much risk of flow restrictions Since I don't have plants?
Do you mean flow restrictions from the canister itself, with the extra media???

I'm just thinking too much polyfil after a few weeks of filtering water may clog up and slow the flow. How often are you changing yours out?

I'm just thinking too much polyfil after a few weeks of filtering water may clog up and slow the flow. How often are you changing yours out?
Yeah it will slow it...slightly. It's not that much though for the benefit it gives. Keep your hobs going with it and you'll have sparkling water. Even put some polyfil in the hobs. I put it in all my filters. It actually doesn't clogg that much, it's only fine particals going through it. I changed mine last Sat and that was the first time in 6 months for me. I clean out the canister every 3 months and just rinse the polyfil in old tank water and give it a good squeeze... I am very happy with my water and would not go without it(polyfil!!)
IMO, you can never have too much polyfil, i have a fully stocked 55g community...

Attachments

• DSCF6598~1.jpg
    DSCF6598~1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 151
My 405
Purigen
Matrix
Matrix
Poly-fil
Bottom ^

The matrix has a better surface area for bacteria to form, compared to the bio rings.
Carbon is only good for a few months,were the purigen can be washed and "recharged".
Poly-fil is just a cheap water polisher than works wonders. Gets all the floaters from messy eaters!

Thanks for the great canister filtration intel and polyfil endorsement! I'll toss the carbon and insert a course and medium pad in the bottom 50/50 tray. What are the best pads/sponges to get?

Thanks for the great canister filtration intel and polyfil endorsement! I'll toss the carbon and insert a course and medium pad in the bottom 50/50 tray. What are the best pads/sponges to get?
You can get the Fluval ones(more expensive) or universal ones(cheaper) which you can cut to size.... Also get the Purigen, imo, better than Carbon for polishing the water....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seachem-Purigen-Ultimate-Filtration-in-a-Bag-100-ml-NEW-/190794521234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6c3d5a92

http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-165-Purigen-100ml/dp/B0002A5VK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362746853&sr=8-1&keywords=purigen+100ml+in+bag

This is all good info. However, I was a bit surprised to here others say polyfil dosnt slow the flow that much. That has not been my experience. I had to add a second filter to pick up for the drop in flow rate as a result of polyfil. If you have the Means to run 2 filters it is totally worth it. If not you can use the polyfil for a few days for a quick clean up and then remove it to move more water.

This is all good info. However, I was a bit surprised to here others say polyfil dosnt slow the flow that much. That has not been my experience. I had to add a second filter to pick up for the drop in flow rate as a result of polyfil. If you have the Means to run 2 filters it is totally worth it. If not you can use the polyfil for a few days for a quick clean up and then remove it to move more water.
If you really condense the polyfil, then yes it will, slow down the flow. In theory, more media of any type, will slow the flow. It's a compromise really, fast flowing not so clean water or slightly slower crystal clear water. If there is concerns about flow, i would also use a powerhead, i do....

Last edited:
I have not noticed any issues with reduced flow. I've been using it for years in HOBs and the past year, a Fluval 406. I agree, don't pack it in there.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah I was mainly concerned with damming the flow too much and creating impeller damage. Sounds like a non issue.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah I was mainly concerned with damming the flow too much and creating impeller damage. Sounds like a non issue.
No, you'll be fine. If you have a polishing pad, put this on top of the polyfil, this will stop any loose floss getting into the motor. A new piece of cloth will do....

Do all the fluvals come with the poly pad that goes at the bottom of each basket? I switched mine, put the polyfill on the bottom and put that on top to do what you are saying. I know my 406 came with a pad at the bottom of each basket.

My 205 didn't come with any polishing pads. Ill be ordering some course, medium, and polishing pads on amazon today. Also seachem purigen to top it off.

My 205 didn't come with any polishing pads. Ill be ordering some course, medium, and polishing pads on amazon today. Also seachem purigen to top it off.
You'll have sparkling water in no time!!!!. I have a tetratec ex700 canister and mine came with a polishing pad. I only use it to hold down the floss and stop it clogging the motor. That's why i said a piece of cloth would do....
Good luck with it and post us a pic when you set it up. People like seeing before and afters....

Back
Top Bottom