Foggy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C_howard78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I setup my 37 gallon tank with 10 small African cichlids on Friday and everything had been perfect since then. I got up this morning and my tank is now foggy.

Last night I was setting up an auto feeder and accidentally used too much so I got out my vacuum and sucked up as much of it as I could (basically I did a five gallon water change).

I don't know if I should wait and hope my filter clears it up soon or if I need to do another water change or something. I just hope I haven't done anything to harm the fish in any way. Any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated.

Could me a bacterial bloom from stirring up debris from your vacuuming. I'd just keep an eye on the parameters and do another water change.

Convict2161 said:
Could me a bacterial bloom from stirring up debris from your vacuuming. I'd just keep an eye on the parameters and do another water change.

Ok yeah thanks for the input.

Could the fogginess be caused by the fact that the tank is cycling?

C_howard78 said:
Could the fogginess be caused by the fact that the tank is cycling?

I'd say its more to do with the major gravel vac you performed and the over feeding. Your more then likely stirred up a bunch of debris, poop etc... It could also be like stated before a bacterial bloom which isn't uncommon at all. Keep an eye on your parameters and perform water changes accordingly.

It's probably just down to it being just up, wouldn't worry to much - remember just to keep testing the water during cycling and water changes when required.

Borderlesscott said:
It's probably just down to it being just up, wouldn't worry to much - remember just to keep testing the water during cycling and water changes when required.

How often should I be doing water changes?

Water changes will depend on what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are - when they start to rise, do a change - with 10 fish in there your ammonia will probably rise pretty quickly.

If you have not read up on fish tank cycling I would strongly advise you to ASAP.

Many times your tank water appears cloudy because the inside glass has a layer of film or the beginning of algae growth. Try cleaning the inside.of the glass.with an appropriate scrubber.

The only time my water is even remotely cloudy is when I perform a PWC.I do one 50% Water change per week.It keeps my Nitrates below 25ppm and the water is only cloudy for an hour max.My filtration sorts it out really quickly.

I'm curious is your filter sufficient enough for ur tank? I know when I do my changes its an hour tops of being a Lil cloudy from me moving the gravel around. If it can't keep up with ur bioload this will be a never ending battle I know u said the cause was ur auto feeder but just something to think about. Also it doesn't hurt to test ur water for ur changes I found that our tap runs high in nitrates just another thing to consider.

If it is milky collar. It is bacteria explosion. If it has a brown collar check filter, in my case it was the filter that was not compatible, if ammonia and nitrite. Or above 50 ppm and after a week still not stable it is the filter system,

Back
Top Bottom