Food fo SA cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well there isn't much substance to an ant, and I've no clue on the nutritional value. There's a potential for the ant to bite the fish. Just seems like it's not worth it when there are well balanced pellet and flake formulas out there that give the fish everything they need.

I feed crickets and grasshoppers to fish as small as a inch, like their pellets match the size of the insect to the fish. I've tossed huge praying mantis's in for my adult oscars, the Festae love those huge black crickets I find in the yard, and the other fish eat spiders and lady bugs.

I guess it all depends on if u knew for certain the insect was pesticide or insecticide free. Also I'm not so sure I'd feed ladybugs to say goldfish because of their digestive system. For any newworld cichlid I'd say it'd be fine. IMO

Earthworms are fine. I'd keep them in a container of known good soil for a while before feeding unless you know they came from a safe pesticide free source.

I'd still keep a high quality pellet routine as their staple food though.

I don't know the nutritional difference between the different live/dead type food. I don't think that the labels even break it down unfortunately.

I do know that a good quality pellet is a better option nutrition-wise, that's why I recommended keeping that as the main staple.

However, I do feed bloodworms and earthworms to certain fish as treats and also to my live-food only fish.

Back
Top Bottom