Freshwater fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason I am leaning towards rehoming is became it hasn't worked. I went from 6 fish to two. And now I can actually see him attacking the pleco. I redid my rocks and hiding places hoping that would help. And he picked the same new home as the pleco. I'd like to have ten to fifteen fish and clearly that won't happen with this guy running around like me at an all you can eat buffet.

Lmao i understand was just trying to help, its really jus me I like the aggressive fish that's my whole point of keeping mbuna, also these guys have good advice but wen a person comes on here with a problem like yours they jump to o rehome him, or your tsnk is too small jus all negatives to me. But you have spoken so rehome it is.

Sooo what are u looking to fill that 55 up with?

Lmao i understand was just trying to help, its really jus me I like the aggressive fish that's my whole point of keeping mbuna, also these guys have good advice but wen a person comes on here with a problem like yours they jump to o rehome him, or your tsnk is too small jus all negatives to me. But you have spoken so rehome it is.

Sooo what are u looking to fill that 55 up with?

Most of us here are here to protect cichlids. If I recall you just had problems with your tank. You was told you need a bigger tank to keep them in or rehome it. An Aggressive fish being kept that kills all others needs to be alone or tryed in a bigger tank size. It's not fair to put other fish in the tank that may be beaten to death or seriously injured. We have stocking guides that help and work out for a reason.

Anyways best of luck to you guys I was only trying to help :)

Most of us here are here to protect cichlids. If I recall you just had problems with your tank. You was told you need a bigger tank to keep them in or rehome it. An Aggressive fish being kept that kills all others needs to be alone or tryed in a bigger tank size. It's not fair to put other fish in the tank that may be beaten to death or seriously injured. We have stocking guides that help and work out for a reason.

Anyways best of luck to you guys I was only trying to help :)

Ok you act like these aggressive fish can't be kept period if so y do they even sale them. I Just had problems? No that was over 3 months ago dude my tank is fine my stock has been a LITTLE refined getting rid of none aggressives like acei. All I was trying to do was help try to keep his evil fish period. I Dnt want any fish hurt either but were dealing with mbuna here not humans lmao u didn't even ask the guy if he was interested in gettin a bigger tank, no jus dump the fish start over but wutever.

Lets concentrate on what the OP would like to stock his tank with and keep personal attacks and others tanks out of it. The OP asked for opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs. Disagreements are going to happen but let's make sure it doesn't escalate.

OP - what kind of fish are you looking at? More Africans? Or a community type tank?

Last edited:
Tbh I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. I want a well stocked somewhat active and colorful tank. I am open to all suggestions. I don't know what each species is and how they get along so I am at your mercy more experienced fish genius'

Tbh I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. I want a well stocked somewhat active and colorful tank. I am open to all suggestions. I don't know what each species is and how they get along so I am at your mercy more experienced fish genius'

Ive still been following lol I am so addicted to thjs sight lol why not try a rainbowfish tank? Look up bohemia rainbowfish as a start to the colorful world of rainbows. Very active as well.

I inherited these fish a while back. The one has gotten really agressive and although I was blaming a fish genocide in my tank on mismaintenance/dissease I now believe it was this guy. I am now down to these 2 fish. I really would like to add fish to this tank as it is a 55 gallon and looks so empty with only two fish. So my question is what kind of fish are these, are there fish I can add, or should I look to trade this guy at an lFS so that I can stock, I'd like to do some sort of community Cichlid but I'm not sure. Thanks for any advice and for help IDing these two fish.

It's probably a peacock cichlid but the pics aren't all that great

If u want cichlids u could do some basics like red zebra, yellow labs, and cobalt blue zebra that will give u 3 different colors and a lot of activity.

Or mangano instead of the blue zebra because they might fight with the red zebras.

I will speak on experience and take it for what's its worth. First I'll say this... There are many many well educated members here that are only trying to assist the OP in stocking the tank responsibly, if the OP chooses not to follow then so be it. A wise member form here once told me. You can lead a horse to the water but ya can't make him drink ;)

Anyway....

Take it from me and everyone here will vouch for me. IF you go "unorthodox" and try and house all different cichlids in a tank your asking for trouble and believe you me.... Trouble is what's gonna follow!

Yea I know some may not know me but that's ok... I'm a guy that "thought" eh... Who cares what people say, who cares what the "book" says and who cares what the members say... There just being hard on me and don't really know "my tank"

I was DEAD WRONG!! If I'd listened I'd be better off. But I'm a better person for them now. Andy, Elise, Becca and many many others have taught me what's right from wrong etc etc... Also some have taught me how NOT to get over excited over these issues.

Yea... I'm rambling but that's me :)

I stocked my tank with want I wanted and never once listened to anyone!! You wanna know what it got me!!?!

20+ dead fish! A blood bath! UFC in my tank!! And once again I'm dealing with a hyper dominate male.

Don't do what I did!! Use me as a learning tool PLEASE!! I've had fish jump out of my tank because they were being bullied much!!

Yeah certain fish may work for a period of time but when they get older they FIGHT!!

Do you really want to net fish out every morning because a killer fish in your tank is killing other fish under the cover of night?

Finding fish on your floor dead because they were so scared they bailed?

It's NO Fun!!

Please listen to the members and stock your tank the right way with the right male/female ratio and you'll be able to enjoy your tank! Don't be like me!!

I've learned a lot from these fine people and call many of them my friend. There passionate about the hobby and only wanna see what's right for the OP and the fish.

It's no fin watching your stock list deplete due to in my words stupid stocking ( I'm taking about myself no one else)

Hundreds of dollars lost because I thought that I knew it all! I thought Dino was the man and knew everything and I was gonna show the world that it can work. It didn't work.

Be smart, be responsible and take pride in knowing you did the right thing.

Someone said "every tank is different" I echoed those same words over and over again... As I watched my fish die.

One more thing... It's NO FUN breaking a 75 gallon tank down every few weeks to net a killer.

That's pretty much all I have to say... Sorry for the rant or whatever you wanna call it. But this is real like experience here not just advice.

Take it for what it's worth.

The Con....

First bro I was only trying to help and were passed that on to helping him figure out what he wants u coming with this rant was unnecessary taking on every little thing I said. And yea I stand by my stock and care about my fish jus as much as u... And so far doing pretty dam good for somebody who knew nothing starting out yea I had to rehome fish for one reason or another but I see wen dealing with mbuna u can out together a so call good stock and still have a over dominant fish. And like u said people are. And like I said befor in the other post I was trying to help him put together a stock that work with the fish he had guess u didnt catch that. U said u watched your fish die something I would not do I watch and pay attention to what goes on in my tank, its In my bedroom. And if I noticed and overly aggressive fish that's killing other fish he's gone. Yea my fish fight again there mbuna its never a real fight jus chasing every now and then no real boss. Again jus trying to help sorry for the rant tho

First bro I was only trying to help and were passed that on to helping him figure out what he wants u coming with this rant was unnecessary taking on every little thing I said. And yea I stand by my stock and care about my fish jus as much as u... And so far doing pretty **** good for somebody who knew nothing starting out yea I had to rehome fish for one reason or another but I see wen dealing with mbuna u can out together a so call good stock and still have a over dominant fish. And like u said people are. And like I said befor in the other post I was trying to help him put together a stock that work with the fish he had guess u didnt catch that. Sorry for the rant

I don't think I addressed anyone specific.... And please don't "bro" me. Show some respect please... to myself and other members.

U mentioned things I said u and I know. And wen was saying bro on an internet forum disrespectful BRO this is not the office, or a place of business.

Your right just trying to help at the end of the day ment no harm to human or fish.

I think your best option is to go online and pick a couple of the fish you would really like. Or ones after you look around and say to yourself I really want that. Cichlids or not we can all help mummaoftwo is great with just about everything. Where I'm more on the cichlid side of things.

This is a good place to start because they usually show good pictures of different things.
http://www.livefishdirect.com/

I can tell you Malawi mbuna, peacocks and haps are all very colorful and active. But I don't want to steer you in that direction if you may want to go another route.

Here is another link for Cichlids of different places that will show stocking for a 55 gallon and pictures of different combos that will work.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

Let us know and I'm sorry for any arguments I may have started on your thread. :)

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help and understand that stocking a tank is an explosive topic. I just want to do what I think is right for my fish. In my current position in life they are the only pets I can have and I do tend to grow attached. I spoke to a lfs (fish only) and they said I can bring him in. I'm glad because I know they will take care of him and do the right thing. My goal is to not wind up with this same problem in the future. And I also understand that no matter how sticky I follow any stocking guides they are animals and anything can happen. I hoping I get a trustworthy opinion at the lfs on stocking choices and it would be nice to see everything in person. I am just trying to learn enough before I go that I don't wind up in this spot again. I'm sure at some point someone told my dad this fish would get along with others.

How does buying fish online work? Is that a coon practice and how successful have people been with it.

I appreciate all the help and understand that stocking a tank is an explosive topic. I just want to do what I think is right for my fish. In my current position in life they are the only pets I can have and I do tend to grow attached. I spoke to a lfs (fish only) and they said I can bring him in. I'm glad because I know they will take care of him and do the right thing. My goal is to not wind up with this same problem in the future. And I also understand that no matter how sticky I follow any stocking guides they are animals and anything can happen. I hoping I get a trustworthy opinion at the lfs on stocking choices and it would be nice to see everything in person. I am just trying to learn enough before I go that I don't wind up in this spot again. I'm sure at some point someone told my dad this fish would get along with others.

How does buying fish online work? Is that a coon practice and how successful have people been with it.

Buying online is almost a must. Most lfs don't carry enough Cichlids to even have a good stocking plan aggression wise. Or they just simply get huge. Most of us cichlid keepers order online, I've done it many times with not one problem. That's why I said on my last post to look around online to see what you like and we can go from there.

Last edited:
The catfish looks like some species of Synodontis catfish to me, not a pleco.

Back
Top Bottom