Friendly Convicts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sally94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I currently have two convicts (one female one male) and 5 cherry barbs all in the same 70L fish tank. I keep hearing how aggressive convicts are but mine haven't even attacked one fish. They will however bite my hand though if I put it in there... not a lot of fun being biten.
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 3ft fish tank soon and trying to work out what I can put with my convicts. Is it possible that my convicts are friendly and I can choose fish a bit easier?
Any advice on putting specific fish with them.
Also you may want to note that the fail at breeding. They lay eggs but they just don't hatch. Ive had them for almost a year now. Bought the female as a adult and the male as a juvenile.
Thanks

Friendly? Just wait until they mate and have babies. Convicts... Nasty fish when they wanna be. I've seen them slaughter a tank full of other fish like tiger barbs, Africans and even other convicts.

Any one got any ideas as to why their eggs won't hatch? They get territorial when they lay eggs but they dont attack the barbs..

also any cichlids you reckon I could put with them in my new 3ft fish tank?

Any one got any ideas as to why their eggs won't hatch? They get territorial when they lay eggs but they dont attack the barbs..

also any cichlids you reckon I could put with them in my new 3ft fish tank?

Fire mouth come to mind... Sorry not sure about the eggs.

how many times total have they tried breeding? ive heard of many kinds of cichlids being complete idiots about breeding for 3-4 times until they get it right.

If you are looking for cichlid ideas still, then perhaps (as well as firemouths) you could try EBJD or Jade-eyed cichlid?

I have a female convict in a community of larger fish, including a jade eye cichlid which is arguably my favourite fish that i own (and i have nearly 100). I fear that a breeding pair will kill your cherries though, and most other fish you try, especially in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom