From community to aggressive cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 90 gallon community tank.

In the next couple weeks im going to switch it to a cichlid tank. Im unfamiliar with cichlids but i kno that i may want a jack dempsey, a severem or 2, and maybe a parrot cichlid. Is this possible???

Also can i put silver dollar fish with any of these cichlids???

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like this. Should be fine. The jack is a beater though so be careful. Give him a cave or a "planted" area for him to hang out in and he should be fine. It would also help if he is smaller than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like this. Should be fine. The jack is a beater though so be careful. Give him a cave or a "planted" area for him to hang out in and he should be fine. It would also help if he is smaller than the others.

Would about 6 or 7 silver dollars be fine with a jack??

Ok nvm that idea. Ive decided that im going to get 2 tiger oscars and 5 silver dollars.

Ok nvm that idea. Ive decided that im going to get 2 tiger oscars and 5 silver dollars.

If thats to much then ill only get 1 tiger oscar.

Only 1 Oscar in a 48" tank.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only 1 Oscar in a 48" tank.

Ok. Do u have any suggestions???

This is what i have planned so far.
1 tiger oscar
6 silver dollars

I feel that would be it in a 90.

You may be able to get 2 in a 90 but would be looking at about 2 50% water changes a week

Personally, I liked your first idea a lot better. With the tiger oscars, you can only have one, MAYBE two with a whole bunch of work as mike pointed out with no other fish.

I'm not sure how many silver dollars you could put but you could always add them slowly and keep a close eye on your water levels so you know when you are stocked.

Personally, I liked your first idea a lot better. With the tiger oscars, you can only have one, MAYBE two with a whole bunch of work as mike pointed out with no other fish.

I'm not sure how many silver dollars you could put but you could always add them slowly and keep a close eye on your water levels so you know when you are stocked.

Its still a possibility! What exactly would u stock it with???

I'm a big fan of Severum, geophagus, and arowana.

Arowana in a 90 gallon???????????

Well, it gets big but you could always rehome. I always mention the arowana because it is my favorite aquarium fish.

Well, it gets big but you could always rehome. I always mention the arowana because it is my favorite aquarium fish.

You told me to do an arowana in a 75... Someday a person is going to buy one without doing any research and you're gonna get yelled at for having them put a fish that can grow past 4 feet in a 4 foot tank...

But i love the arowana as well, i had one passed on to me for a few days. Had to sell it though... Sad...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You told me to do an arowana in a 75... Someday a person is going to buy one without doing any research and you're gonna get yelled at for having them put a fish that can grow past 4 feet in a 4 foot tank...

But i love the arowana as well, i had one passed on to me for a few days. Had to sell it though... Sad...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Not for nothing, but people come here for advice. All it takes is a quick google search to see how big or aggressive the fish we are recommending grow to be. The OP asked me what I would stock MY tank with. MY. I said arowana.

Also, if I recall, the other two other fish i recommended are completely compatible. And so is the arowana (regardless of the size)

Just add some further info next time with your opinion/advice. If its what ya like... Its what ya suggest, lol, right. I get it. But adding more info would help said person make a much more highly educated decision. Not everyone that comes here is looking to use google for everything. Thays why they are here asking. Besides... Google isnt the end-all, saviour to knowledge. But its a good place to start. there is too much conflicting info on google to loosely say do a quick google search. I mean come on.... Wouldnt you be upset if you took the advice. Got a beautiful arrowana. Got attached to it. Then had to give it away. Not everyone can upgrade tanks at the drop of a hat.

Not trying to upset ya. Just wanted shed a different light on it for ya.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just add some further info next time with your opinion/advice. If its what ya like... Its what ya suggest, lol, right. I get it. But adding more info would help said person make a much more highly educated decision. Not everyone that comes here is looking to use google for everything. Thays why they are here asking. Besides... Google isnt the end-all, saviour to knowledge. But its a good place to start. there is too much conflicting info on google to loosely say do a quick google search. I mean come on.... Wouldnt you be upset if you took the advice. Got a beautiful arrowana. Got attached to it. Then had to give it away. Not everyone can upgrade tanks at the drop of a hat.

Not trying to upset ya. Just wanted shed a different light on it for ya.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

100 % correct

Im not sure an arowana could even be rehomed in adequate thriving living conditions once it grows up. I mean, who could take it in?
They are very cool fish.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom