Frontosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I spelled it right. After doing some research trying to identify my stock I'm come to realize I have 2 frontosa's in my tank. They don't bother anyone and aren't being picked at all.

Do I need to or should I re home them? There small maybe a inch or a little bigger. Beautiful fish and again the LFS had them in a mixed tank and well... I added them when I first set my tank up. What is the best thing to do. I read they get HUGE!!

I'm trying real hard to minimize aggression and from the help of the members here have already learned SO MUCH!! Thank you again for all your help. I made my mistakes and learned from them and I'm now trying to help my tank and finned friends settle in.

What do you have in your tank what's the size of your tank n parameters these are things we need to know to help you!

frontosa get BIG man.. you're probably gonig to want to rehome. but ill defer to others with more experience with them

NyteGTI said:
frontosa get BIG man.. you're probably gonig to want to rehome. but ill defer to others with more experience with them

Man another re home adventure huh? I'm gonna be a pro when I'm done lol.

Well as always I will do what I have to do. I'll try an net them without having to break my whole tank down again and give them to my friend who owns a LFS. This is gonna be fun.

NyteGTI said:
haha more credit at john's store?

Haha you said it brother!! No today though. I need to prepare mentally for this one. Hopefully during feeding time I can net them. I'd hate to do a breakdown again :(

There so calm too! They just go about there business. They really don't even come up to the top now that I think of it. This is gonna be interesting. I'm NOT breaking down this tank again. NOWAY!

Last edited:
Yep, as others have said, I'd suggest rehoming them. They get large, prefer groups, and are piscavores. Super cool fish though.

HN1 said:
Yep, as others have said, I'd suggest rehoming them. They get large, prefer groups, and are piscavores. Super cool fish though.

:( I will do as always what is needed....

garfy said:
Yep they look like fronts alright.It is very likely they will get bullied by the mbuna's as they grow slowly.

This stinks!! You do know this right? I'm so mad at myself and the LFS!! "sure no problem!! Yes they can all in your tank!" "a 75 gallon? Of course but get 2!" UGH!!! I gotta figure out a way to do this carefully without a full breakdown of the tank again!! I can't take doing that again. Now I'm REALLY discouraged!! I really do feel like going to the LFS and just talking to the manager and letting him know what went on! I mean I had to re home 4 do far and now these 2.

This isn't right by any means and it's more stress on me and my fish!!! It's just not right!! They should have the knowledge to say NO they won't work in your tank!! Who do they hire?! Anyone?! I should get a second job and work there part time just so this won't happen.

It really upsets me that may have to destroy my tank again!! Honestly I feel like of I do break it down then I'll just hand john all of the fish and that's it!! I'll put an Tiger Oscar in there and call it a day!!

Stress level is high right now. I'm gonna have to relax before attempting to net and re home.

That could be a Frontosa. The head looks longer and a little different shape. Could be because its a juvi. The stripes and fins look like Front to me. If that is a Front they could be worth quite a bit of money. I wouldnt go snatching them out just yet. A blue zaire is worth like 50 bucks a piece. But im not a Frontosa guy so im not sure.

It's not your fault.You have been given bad advice on your fish choices I assume just so the store can make money which is a shame for the fish and the owner.
This is partly why I suggested a full stock list so as members of AA we can sort through it once and for all and get this thing done.That way you can relax and finally enjoy your fish in peace.

Con, I bet you money you could find a home for your fronts (if thats what they are) in NY. They are hot fish. I would sell them once you get a solid answer on what they are. You could have a diamond in the rough. I just googled a bit and found front your size for 150 bucks a piece. Now they are rare wild caught...I wouldnt get to excited lol

garfy said:
It's not your fault.You have been given bad advice on your fish choices I assume just so the store can make money which is a shame for the fish and the owner.
This is partly why I suggested a full stock list so as members of AA we can sort through it once and for all and get this thing done.That way you can relax and finally enjoy your fish in peace.

I hear ya brother. I'm trying to figure it out and post pictures of my stock to hopefully figure this out like you said and put it to bed.

Jmedic25 said:
Con, I bet you money you could find a home for your fronts (if thats what they are) in NY. They are hot fish. I would sell them once you get a solid answer on what they are. You could have a diamond in the rough. I just googled a bit and found front your size for 150 bucks a piece. Now they are rare wild caught...I wouldnt get to excited lol

Now there's a bright side!! I like bright sides!! :)

Back
Top Bottom