Frontosa with Africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edwards36

Aquarium Advice Activist
As anyone ever had frontosa with africans cichlids? I have many cichlids and are very good together, ive read that frontosa are not very aggressive but i worried at its max size it would just eat the cichlids. Any advise? The only reason i ask is bc i found a frontosa in great condition for $5 and always wanted one but i dnt want to put my cichlids in danger when the frontosa gets big

Well i havnt bought him yet i have labs, aceis, feullabornis and damasonis, in a 75 gallon

In the long term frontosa's aren't compatible with the type of fish you have. They require a different diet (high protein meat-based rather than low protein veggie-based), are very slow swimmers (not fast active swimmers like mbuna's, they're swimming habits will stress them; though capable of bursts of speeds when spooked), and are nowhere as aggressive as mbuna's.

Any mbuna up to 4" in length will be in danger of being eaten by a full grown frontosa (they reach 12" or even more). They're nocturnal piscovores and may prey on edible-sized tank mates during hours of darkness (when fast swimming mbuna's are most vulnerable).

Frontosa's are best kept in colonies and in larger tanks (125gal+).

I have kept frontosa with Malawis in the past and didn't have issues but once I sold all the Malawis and just had frontosa they were much more outgoing. At $5 I doubt the frontosa will pose a threat to your mbuna as its likely about an inch long. Growth rate is fast in the first year and the males grow faster and get up to about 5-6 inches in that year, females to about 3 inches. After that they grow at about an inch a year. Personally frontosa are my favourite African cichlid.

Back
Top Bottom