Frontosas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just at the local Aquarium Adventure and saw frontosas. I think of any african cichlid they are by far my favorite. I'm not a huge fan of all the colors, I feel that is what community fish are for. That is why I house all SA cichlids in my tank now. Any ideas on what size tank specs and suitable tankmates for frontosas ALSO one other question what is a suitable cichlid for a 30 gallon hex not including rams? AFRICAN OR SA

6ft tank minimum for frontosas, they get fairly large.

The best tankmates for frontosas are other frontosas (preferably the same variant of frontosa, especially if you have intentions to breed them).

Other suitable tankmates include altolamprologus (a. compressiceps or a. calvus) which originate from the same lake. 6ft tank minimum for these fish (125gal+).

While frontosas can be aggressive towards each other, they're known to be timid with other fish (other fish that they can't eat, that is). They're relatively slow moving, calm and cautious fish. Active and/or aggressive fish can stress them out.

Yeah that kind of puts me off, seeing how big of a tank they need...125 gallon for them..yet the same for a jaguar cichlid, I'm confused...how big do frontosas get?Also what can you put with a freshwater stingray?

It'll take many years of great care but males can achieve 12-14". Frontosa fry grow about 4"-6" during their first year, then the growth rate decelerates (but continues).

I don't know anything about the fw stingrays

I've kept Frontosas a while back. They are very adaptable and hardy fish. They are long lived and grow very slowly. Mine topped out at around 7 inches and were kept in a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom