Fry underdeveloped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidLady0312

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have 4 underdeveloped fry in a breeder tank w their yellow lab mother. Because they are still underdeveloped (the 4 fry are swimming but still have part of the egg attached) will they survive? The yellow lab is a first time mom. Shes guarding them pretty well even though its just her in the box.

Yea they should and she doesn't need to be in there with them, she may eventually eat them.

At this point she does not need to be present, but if you are willing to take the risk it can be quite interesting to watch as she continues to take them into her mouth at the perceived approach of "danger". The sac-fry should finish absorbing their egg sacs fairly quickly and likely will become free-swimming in a matter of days. It is at this point that the risk of the mother eating them becomes much higher.

You should just strip the rest, and return mom to the main tank.

You should just strip the rest, and return mom to the main tank.

Why? Why not allow nature to take its course? Cichlids have been successfully brooding fry to hundreds of years without human interference. The fact that she has gotten this far without consuming the fry is very indicative that this initial brood will be successful.

we all know this and why not strip and return her a lot of people do this not a big deal she can do what she wants to be honest

we all know this and why not strip and return her a lot of people do this not a big deal she can do what she wants to be honest

Indeed she can, that doesn't require her to do what you want her to, nor does it prevent me from expressing my opinions, just as you are expressing yours.

Just because a lot of people do this, does not mean it isn't a big deal. There is actually a fair amount of research that shows that continually stripping eggs early prevents females from developing the instincts required to successfully brood fry long term, thus requiring their keepers to continually strip fry in order to insure their survival as the females will no longer brood to term. Additionally a little research reveals that in fact many females are inadvertently injured in the stripping process. Stripping fry is not without inherit risks of its own. Personally I'd much rather lose fry than cause injury to a proven breeder.

Indeed she can, that doesn't require her to do what you want her to, nor does it prevent me from expressing my opinions, just as you are expressing yours.

Just because a lot of people do this, does not mean it isn't a big deal. There is actually a fair amount of research that shows that continually stripping eggs early prevents females from developing the instincts required to successfully brood fry long term, thus requiring their keepers to continually strip fry in order to insure their survival as the females will no longer brood to term. Additionally a little research reveals that in fact many females are inadvertently injured in the stripping process. Stripping fry is not without inherit risks of its own. Personally I'd much rather lose fry than cause injury to a proven breeder.

I never said she had to do anything I said, I clearly said she can do what she wants, and thanks for all the info on stripping because I'm new to fish keeping and any advice I give is learned here or from my own experience, so I'm not the only one who strips fry. And it's not a big deal to me.

I never said she had to do anything I said, I clearly said she can do what she wants, and thanks for all the info on stripping because I'm new to fish keeping and any advice I give is learned here or from my own experience, so I'm not the only one who strips fry. And it's not a big deal to me.

Indeed perhaps I took your last post incorrectly. You are more than welcome to any information which I share, and I'm well aware that many people engage in the process of stripping fry. It simply is not a practice I choose to engage in myself.

It will, so you may want to spend a little time fattening her back up before releasing her back into the aquarium.

I stripped the rest of her fry. Shes quite content in the breeder box. Its funny how the fry will follow her around!! Putting her back in the main tank in a day or so. I might also give her away since I know that shes a female. Looking to just have an all male show tank when my 75 is up and running.

I plan on doing the all male also let us know how it works out.

In all honesty, if you plan to give her away anyway, now is the best time to do so. That way she doesn't have to under the stress of reintroduction into your aquarium and then later into another.

Back
Top Bottom