GBR and BR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are both ramirezi, but different subspecies--I think. It's hard to know from one place to the next since fish stores tend to slap on various common names for the same fish :roll:

they are all south american and from the same areas, just one is from the inner rivers and the other from the near coast line, if I am not mistaken.

They are the exact same fish. For reasons that have been lost over time, the fish known as Mikrogeophagus ramirezi has been named at least three times. This is what led to the multitude of "common names" for it. Among the most frequently confused common names are:

Balloon Ram
Butterfly Cichlid
German Ram
Gold German Ram
Golden Ram
Singapore Ram

Gets more confusing when some GBR's are a nice golden color and have no blue flecks on them. :roll:

DUH! Sorry, I was thinking Bolivian instead of Blue--they both start with "B" and my pregnant brain doesn't work well. Time for a nap :oops:

Menagerie said:
DUH! Sorry, I was thinking Bolivian instead of Blue--they both start with "B" and my pregnant brain doesn't work well. Time for a nap :oops:

Not a problem, I've mis-identified both recently and I'm not even pregnant. LOL!

I have a question that fits this conversation I think...

do GBR and Bolivians get along? i have a male Bolivian and was thinking of getting a pair of GBR. would this be wise? might they interbreed creating a "hybrid" ram?

Maybe this will answer that question Jdogg:

fishfeb2006007.jpg

I have to tell you this was done with a plan. The GBR's are all males and the Bolivians were introduced (all 5) at the same time. They are getting along and have been since last October. I don't know how long this will last as I expect it not to but in the meantime, I really wouldn't suggest it unless the person is willing and able to make an adjustment on the fly.

Thank you. I was confused because in the lfs they told me that they were two different species, and that GBR were very hard to find and VERY expensive.

JDogg said:
I have a question that fits this conversation I think...

do GBR and Bolivians get along? i have a male Bolivian and was thinking of getting a pair of GBR. would this be wise? might they interbreed creating a "hybrid" ram?

I have both in my 75G planted tank. Check out my thread. They get along absolutely wonderfully. :)

As for interbreeding, I doubt it.

Big C said:
Thank you. I was confused because in the lfs they told me that they were two different species, and that GBR were very hard to find and VERY expensive.

At the lfs here, GBR's and Bolivians all cost the same. GBR's aren't very expensive at all. And definitely not hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom