GBR + Bolivian or GGR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any problems with keeping a pair (M/F) GBRs with either a pair of Bolivian or German Gold rams? (By pair I mean M/F)

These will be in a planted 20 along with some other fish.

Thanks!

GRB amd German Gold Ram are the same sprecies. You can keep the Bolivians and Blue/Gold Rams together without problems, but only one pair of each. Your tank is to small for multiple pairs.

For what it's worth, I've kept Bolivian rams for a few years, and I feel that a 20 gallon is on the small side for them. I once tried keeping them in a 20 and they just weren't very happy until they moved into a larger tank. Bolivians grow a little larger than GBRs/gold rams, and IME are more territorial. I'd recommend 29 gallons minimum for a pair of Bolivans and a pair of GBRs/gold rams, but I'm sure others will have different opinions.

I say that a 20 is too small for a pair of each (GBR and Bolivian) as well. You could do a pair of GBR's and golds (same species as already stated) depending on the other fish in the tank. They will probably be a bit crowded and I wouldn't really recommend it. I keep 4 pair of GBR's with no problems in my 55 FWIW. I try to provide as much cover as possible.

is it a 20 High or Long?

definatly a 20 high is to small for both IMO, since bothe species live in the lower 1/2 of the tank

I keep ONe pair of GBR in a 20g high by themselves. They are happy, and spawning. I won't put any other fish in there with them though.

Not as well in a 20 as they would in a larger tank. They are the SAME species of fish...

I think you may find that they get a little territorial around breeding time which is pretty much a standard ram sort of thing, but I wouldn't expect any real problems. I have both gbr and ggr. in fact, I have a pair that is ggr female and gbr male. They are so pretty together... :D

Back
Top Bottom