Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

gbr has shrimp stuck in mouth

hi hope someone has some advice for me. my young gbr tried to eat a shrimp and now you can see the feelers sticking out of his mouth (which he can't close all the way). he's swimming around like everything is o.k. should i wait a while (i just noticed this at feeding time around 10 a.m. today) maybe he will slowly consume it? or should i try to catch him and remove manually? has anyone had this experience? any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchin View Post
hi hope someone has some advice for me. my young gbr tried to eat a shrimp and now you can see the feelers sticking out of his mouth (which he can't close all the way). he's swimming around like everything is o.k. should i wait a while (i just noticed this at feeding time around 10 a.m. today) maybe he will slowly consume it? or should i try to catch him and remove manually? has anyone had this experience? any advice would be appreciated. thanks
hope this is in the right forum.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
come get me tang police!

As long as he's breathing o.k. I would just leave it alone. If you try to extract something like that you might do more harm than good. If it looks like he isn't breathing though I'd try to remove it.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks jetajockey. i was thinking the same thing. i just checked him a minute ago and GOOD NEWS he either ate it or spit it out. his mouth is closed and he's picking at the plants and gravel so i know he's feeling fine. he's such a character. he thinks he's a big boy already! glad that's over!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Agree with jetajockey ... Let it be, just keep an eye out throughout the day. Eventually it'll either eat it or spit it out. A couple of my TB's had the same issue a week back .. saw the tail of shrimp sticking out of their mouths. Eventually they either spat them out or ate them cause a few hours later they were ready for more food!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchin View Post
thanks jetajockey. i was thinking the same thing. i just checked him a minute ago and GOOD NEWS he either ate it or spit it out. his mouth is closed and he's picking at the plants and gravel so i know he's feeling fine. he's such a character. he thinks he's a big boy already! glad that's over!
Perhaps I was just a tad too late in my response:. Darn!
Oh well ... at least your GBR's ok!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Agree with jetajockey ... Let it be, just keep an eye out throughout the day. Eventually it'll either eat it or spit it out. A couple of my TB's had the same issue a week back .. saw the tail of shrimp sticking out of their mouths. Eventually they either spat them out or ate them cause a few hours later they were ready for more food!
thanks for your response. it was just a bit un-nerving to see him swimming around with these long feelers sticking out of his mouth. it's all good now. thanks again.

Tags
gbr, mouth, rim, shrimp, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com