GBR Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
We just got our first GBR. Our tank has rasboras, swords, a pair of dwarf gouramis and a rainbow shark. The shark tends to chase the GBR but not all the time. Should we take our rainbow back to the LFS or will the GBR be okay. She does not seem stressed at all.

Advice:)

FO the most part, GBRs are bottom dwellers.....at least that's how it's been in my experience. ANy aggressive bottom dweller will likely cause a problem. Non-aggressive bottom dwellers like cories will be fine. The only time there would be an issue with cories is when the GBRs are spawning.

Sounds good, the GBR seems very happy, eats like crazy and is very, very cool. I'm thinking about another tank to try and breed these guys, too cool...

I also just got GBRs. A male/female pair. Its been 4 days now and they both look good. They eat and swim around ect...
They also peck or nudge at each other's sides and face off and then run into each other a couple times. The one that is getting pecked or nudged never moves... it just lets it happen. Then they swim off, sometimes together sometimes apart, to a different part of the tank. Neither fish is ever hurt by this, that I can see, and they look fine... not stressed at all. The female has a very large red/pink spot on her stomach.
Whats up with my GBRs?

They're getting ready to breed. Cichlids have a way of turning mating into violence. Keep your eyes peeled for eggs in a couple of days.

I've spawned my rams sucessfully 3 times over....I see this all the time. It's a good sign ;)

Yup, mine do the same thing. They are trying to get the other to mate. Usually with mine the male nudges around the female. I have also noticed once they spawn that the one fanning the eggs will go over to the other parent and "tag them in" by nudging them or giving them a little smooch to let them know that it is their turn to watch the eggs. I find this to be rather comical. They are very interesting to watch once they start to breed. They will attack anything in the vicinity of the eggs including a bushy nose pleco that is about 3 inches long. I am about ready to send my 2 bushy nose plecos packing because they are causing a lot of stress for my breeding GBR's.

Mine don't get aggressive before spawning. I can usually tell when she's getting ready because she starts preparing the breeding area to her liking. then a day or 2 later, eggs, lol.

Well, mine peck gently at each other when they're ready.....and I've noticed they swim nearly side by side in tandem and do a lot of nuzzling. After my female lays the eggs, the male hardly lets her near them. Apparently, he wants to do most of the guarding. When he needs a break, then, and only then, will he allow her to take over. LOL Mr. Mom. It's too funny!!

Back
Top Bottom