GBRs spawning AGAIN!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is the 3rd time in 18 days!!! They are spawning right now. This pair is spawning every 9 days. At first I thought it was a fluke and that she had held some eggs back the first time, but now it looks to be a normal thing. Her "cycle" seems to be exactly 9 days! 8O She dropped on the 21st, the 30th, and now again today. I thought they were having a little bit of a lovers quarrel until my GF said, "You know, today is the 9th day since the last time she laid eggs." That's when it hit me that they were doing their pre-spawn thing. The female also attacked my hand furiously when I was doing a PWC earlier today.

Either I have a very prolific female on my hands or she has been shot up with so many hormones that they have her breeding like a rabbit.

Tank Parameters:
10gal tank
82*F
0ppm ammonia, nitrite
10ppm nitrate
pH 7.0
3*KH
1*GH

Fake plants, one large piece of driftwood and they are the only fish in the tank. There is one unidentified snail in there with them. I parked some fake plants in there for a while, so he must have been a stowaway.

Alright maxwell!! Are you going to pull them this time. if so let me know. I'm looking forward to getting some off you. I'm needing some you know that right. LOL congrades and let me know.

I wish I could, but there's one slight problem.....I leaving town for 6 days on Tuesday. The eggs are probably due to hatch around then. This pair has already eaten its eggs once and ate the most recent batch of fry just as they were becoming free swimmers. Since they won't be eatiing for nearly a week, I don't think there will be anything left when I get back. They will be the only fish in the house that will get to eat while I'm gone. Even if they don't eat them, there will be nothing for the fry to eat. That's the bad news...

The good news is that if all goes according to plan, I should have another fresh batch of eggs when I get back (the 17th will be 9 days). I'll be able to remove those and raise them on my own.

I think this pair will probably eat their fry every time because they will be preparing for the next spawn.

I know thats right. I'll be witting with open ears for the next fry. LOL Have a great trip and enjoy it.

That thread made me late for work! :x But it was well worth it... :wink:

One thing I learned there.....I want some Keyholes! Beautiful fish and you did a great job with the fry. It's great to see success stories like that so the rest of us know that it can be done. It gives us some hope....that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom