GBR's, stocking, and AqAdvisor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickhendrix007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey! I was on AqAdvisor and put in 2 German Blue Rams, 6 hatchets, 6 danios (zebra), and 3 oto's. 20 gallon long, 30 gallon filtration. Will be heavily planted, orinoco style. I have 2 successful tanks that are years old community tanks, but have never done any tank with a cichlid. I know they are finicky, but I keep excellent water parameters and have done days of research on them. Anyway, AqAdvisor said this:

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 98%.
Recommended water change schedule: 31% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 77%.

I feel like I am overstocked but AqAdvisor says I'm not. Any opinions on stocking, compatibility, etc? Any recommendation to do Bolivian rams instead?

Hey Nick, Bolivian rams are much hardier than blue or gold rams which can become stressed by almost anything, especially loud noise. Provided you have a peaceful environment, give them a go. They are gorgeous little fish and when they're happy display the most beautiful colours.

One male to one female is usually good as long as they form a pair, females may fight over a male but not as bad as two males fighting.

Cichlids like high ph and usually need about 55+. Gallons if I'm
Not mistaken

Probably am but hate just my 1 cent because I'm not smart can't say my 2 cents :)

GBRs are a South American dwarf Cichlid that do best in a ph under 7.0. They can be kept in higher ph (I keep mine at about 7) Africans usually require a large tank high ph and hard water, but there are hundreds of cichlids that could be housed in a 20 gallon.

Yeah gbr's only reach 3 inches but are a handful for what I've read. So the proposed tank isn't overstocked or incompatible?

The inhabitants you described would be suitable together. Rams don't fair well in new tanks. You will need to run it a couple of months before adding them. They do best in a well planted tank like you described and thrive in low ph. 5.5 to 6 is ideal.

I would be using sand and a filter pad from another tank to jump start it. Add the fish in and then the rams the next week depending on water

Back
Top Bottom