Geo spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about now? Is dad doing his part?

All eggs have been scooped by both parents. Took a lil bit for dad to come around. Gonna move them into their own tank in a bit. Trying to catch them sleeping to reduce stress.

Well that's good news :-D If dad didn't scoop the remaining eggs would the mum do it? Will they hold the eggs if you net them? I really hope this spawn is successful for you.

Well that's good news :-D If dad didn't scoop the remaining eggs would the mum do it? Will they hold the eggs if you net them? I really hope this spawn is successful for you.

I'm freaking out about netting them. I'm scared the stress will make them spit or swallow. I guess my other option would be to divide the section of the tank that they are in, off from the rest of the tank. There are 3 canisters on the tank and the side they are on would have adequate filtration so this now maybe the plan I go with. Not really wanting a divider in my show tank but I don't want to lose this spawn.

Is there a way to put a large container in there and leave it for a while then go back and just kinda herd them in if they dont go in on their own then just transfer the whole container with them to the other tank? just an idea i had.

Yeah...I don't blame you. You would kick yourself if you lost them during the transfer. I would be freaking out too. I've never owned geos but I believe the least amount of disturbance and stress will lead to better results. I don't know but if I had to choose I think I would divide the tank. You could always transfer later when the fry are bit older. I just transferred my Thorichthys fry so the parents could have their space back. Now they have spawned again after two weeks.

Is there a way to put a large container in there and leave it for a while then go back and just kinda herd them in if they dont go in on their own then just transfer the whole container with them to the other tank? just an idea i had.

In theory that sounds easy but:
A. It would have to be a pretty big container
B. I think that would still stress the out

I'm on the way to lowes now to see what I can find.

After not finding anything good at lowes I decided to man up and just move them. I did it as quick and easily as I could and all looks ok now other than the fact that in my haste to do it I netted the wrong fish. Gonna have to fish it out when things settle. They are in a 55 with stocking material around the filter intakes!! Wish us luck! I'll keep y'all posted!!!

Phew! That's great :) I was biting my nails....haha. I'm very glad they didn't spit or swallow the eggs. And of course, the best of luck. Post a new photo of the soon to be parents.

Phew! That's great :) I was biting my nails....haha. I'm very glad they didn't spit or swallow the eggs. And of course, the best of luck. Post a new photo of the soon to be parents.

I will as soon as they are totally settled in. Not gonna add anymore stress.

Back
Top Bottom