Geophagus Altifrons vs Tropheous Set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just saw the Cory question: the peppereds will do fine! At least until the geos get larger, but I would see them still working out, I just can't say from experience. Mine don't even look at other fish, just grab a mouthful of sand and mind their own business lol

I had three peppers in with mine, and even kuhlii loaches. They didn't bother anyone in my tank... angel, tetras, clown loach, kuhlii loaches, upside down cat, etc.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get this going! Question... My research says the environment they like is "riverine"... What exactly is that?! I kinda had a vision for blackwater... Lots of driftwood, some big smooth stones, moss, Anubius & maybe some Windelov or something???

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get this going! Question... My research says the environment they like is "riverine"... What exactly is that?! I kinda had a vision for blackwater... Lots of driftwood, some big smooth stones, moss, Anubius & maybe some Windelov or something???

Def lots of driftwood but the plants may prove to be a problem. I tried doing live plants but when they dig and sift through the sand they tend to uproot the plants. I swapped out the live plants with silk ones that are weighed down and so far so good.

Attachments

• image-4219112478.jpg
    image-4219112478.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 120
Definitely agree with cbourg...sand and driftwood. A power head will also help, as they like a bit of current (part of what's implied by "riverine", I'm not saying blast it, but a small current will help. If I were to do a strictly geo tank, it would be driftwood with an opening in the front area, as they like to sift through open area. A couple large swords would be tucked close to the driftwood to provide some cover and they don't bother those areas as much from what I've observed. I'd have a few larger rocks scattered throughout, but mostly leave front and center bare and open

I would recommend, in addition to large open areas, plenty of big caves/nooks for them to sleep in. Mine would dig huge pits to sleep in at the bottom of the tank. Some would lean on rocks or DW, others would go in caves. They never slept near one another though.

Ok so dw, a ph & caves, ill start collecting :) when i say smooth stones, I mean big ones like decoration, not substrate :) I plan on super gluing the plants to the driftwood, not planting them, do y'all think that would work?! They don't eat them, correct?

I just had fake ones in my with mine. Never saw them try to pick at them. Unfortunately the tank crashed when I was out of the country and never got to planting live plants. I would think if they are fed enough they won't nip.

Mine never look twice at plants! Plus anubias is a bitter plant, so most fish hate it, I know my uaru took one bite and spit it out, hasn't touched it since!

YouTube can be a good source for ideas on how to decorate, try going and typing something like "earth eater tank" or "geo tank"

Awesome :) I reallllly want tons of Anubius! I'm really excited to get this going!!! Hopefully next week!!!

I checked fins, they have:
1 5" peach face tapajo
2 adult altifrons (BIG!)
Gymnogeophagus balzanii
Gymnogeophagus sp. "rio olimar"
Geophagus abalios
Satanoperca jurupari (these are cool)
Acarichthys heckelli

There may have been more that I'm forgetting, but I think that's all of them

I checked fins, they have:
1 5" peach face tapajo
2 adult altifrons (BIG!)
Gymnogeophagus balzanii
Gymnogeophagus sp. "rio olimar"
Geophagus abalios
Satanoperca jurupari (these are cool)
Acarichthys heckelli

There may have been more that I'm forgetting, but I think that's all of them

Nice! Let me google the others than we can work out a deal :):)

The abalios are commonly called Surinamensis, but are actually not true g. Surinamensis as they ONLY come out of Suriname and very very few fish are exported out of there. They're gonna be slightly larger than the orange heads, but are very similar.
Abalios
image-3643803945.jpg
Altifrons
image-2268974286.jpg
Peach face (tapajo II)
image-1901051641.jpg
Heckelli
image-2481525916.jpg
Jurupari
image-1506069511.jpg

I think they are 11.99 each, but I should be able to get a bulk deal if you end up wanting them :) like 5 for $50 or $55 potentially

The abalios are commonly called Surinamensis, but are actually not true g. Surinamensis as they ONLY come out of Suriname and very very few fish are exported out of there. They're gonna be slightly larger than the orange heads, but are very similar.
Abalios

Altifrons

Peach face (tapajo II)

Heckelli

Jurupari

Wow! Ok, so I LOVE the Altifrons, but can't have em :( so sad! So I reallllly love the peach face, heckelii (sp?) and that last one!!!!! How should I stock based on them 3???

After some more research, the heckelli get 9", jurupari get 10" :( but as was said earlier, you could always grow them out, then trade them in and start over with either new species or babies of the same. It said that jurupari aren't even sexual mature until 2-3 years old!

I'm surprised you don't like the abalios! They're awesome!
By the way, all those pictures I posted were in fact the actual fish there, no Internet searches lol the next one is an abalios with its color (obviously from the Internet this time)

image-1245034791.jpg

After some more research, the heckelli get 9", jurupari get 10" :( but as was said earlier, you could always grow them out, then trade them in and start over with either new species or babies of the same. It said that jurupari aren't even sexual mature until 2-3 years old!

I'm surprised you don't like the abalios! They're awesome!
By the way, all those pictures I posted were in fact the actual fish there, no Internet searches lol the next one is an abalios with its color (obviously from the Internet this time)

Wow that sucks they get so big!! Well I got the day off tomorrow so I'm emptying the 55 of the fry that are in it now into they're new setup tomorrow so the Killies, Rams & Cory's are goin in the 55g :) I'm so ready to get this going, but everything I like is too big :/ that's so sad!

Edit: I DO Love that abalios tho!! How big do they get??

I'm re-reading stuff and seeing 10" :/ not sure why I recommended them so much, I was thinking like 7" but I guess I'm losing my brain

I feel like there are more species that are smaller but can't seem to really find any :(

Back
Top Bottom