Geophagus Stocking & Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trustemedia

Aquarium Advice Freak
May I please get some stocking opinions? This is my first time keeping Geophagus. I have a 110 gallon tank. 60.5" long, 16.5" wide, and 25.5" tall.
I am considering either Abalios or Red Head Tapajos. I am thinking 6. Does this sound like a good number? I also have access to Winemilleri and Sveni, if those are better options?

As for tank mates:
*Biotodoma cupido - okay? What number? I read they like groups, but how big of a group and would a group be too much with the Geophagus in my tank? Would something like 3 be better? or skip? Need help here.
*1 Chocolate Cichlid - been reading this done. ok?
*1 threadfin acara - read they murder everyone when adults, so figured I could keep one to enjoy, is this ok?
*What about crenicichla? I seen a video of Geophagus and Crenicichla sp Belly Crawler. Common, but I like them. Would you advise this?
*I'm not fond of severum, just not doing it for me. Is there anything I am missing that I could be looking at as a choice?

Thank you so much in advance.

Aren't chocolate cichlids uaru? I was under the impression they're meant to be kept as pairs or in groups and won't be happy without any conspecifics.

No, those are two separate species. Uarus need to be in groups as juvies, but can be alone as adults. Chocolates can be alone. I threw out the chocolate idea already anyway.

I am now leaning more toward Festivus and Hatchetfish or one Severum (they grew on me) and Lemon Tetras. Not sure if small fish will be eaten down the road though. Angelfish I feel will be too big, cupidos take up bottom. Anyone think one of these combos will be okay? Or have other ideas? Thanks.

If it were me I’d just do the group of geos (My favorite is the tapajos) and then smaller shoaling fish. Possibly I’d do angelfish as well. A large group of lemon tetras with a shoal of cories on the bottom would look really nice IMO and would complement the geos pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom