Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

geophagus tank mates?

Im in the process of cycling my 55 gallon tank. and Im trying to plan my fish. Im a terrible decision maker. So ALOT of thought is going in to the best mates in the tank. The only fish I have now that I KNOW will live in the 55 are my albino cory cats, we've been through alot together and they deserve space to play. Also possibly a couple snails. A friend suggested I look into the geophagus as a couple awesome looking fish in my tank, the dilemma is I cant find much info about how they would do in a community tank with bottom feeders like corys. I also really like the idea of kuhli loaches as well and maybe a school or 2 of some tetra breeds. Im not stuck on any specific fish (except the corys) I tend to like weird freaky looking fish which tend to be fish that will eat my corys or be to aggressive, If the Geos are to aggressive for a community tank thats ok I can pick other fish but I would love some info on how they do in communities. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also If this is already discussed somewhere please link me, My search didnt come up with much. I should also add while im ok with semi aggressive fish and providing adequate hiding for smaller fish I dont want my smaller fish to live terrified of there tank mates....

Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get fish that won't compete with your cory cats and other bottom dwelling fish. A geophagus will compete with your cory cats for food.

What about severums? They are pretty colorful and stay around the mid to upper half of the tank.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks I'll look them up
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is your substrate? Geos like to sift sand. If you have gravel then I would look into severums as mentioned. If you have sand or are switching to it then your options are many. Just keep in mind adult size as your tank size will limit you.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan64
What is your substrate? Geos like to sift sand. If you have gravel then I would look into severums as mentioned. If you have sand or are switching to it then your options are many. Just keep in mind adult size as your tank size will limit you.
I have small(pea sized and smooth) natural toned gravel in my tank. I know if I go with a cichlids variety I need as peaceful as they come thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you like the look of blood parrots, you can try those as well. Or maybe angelfish.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #8

I have a 125 South American species tank. I keep Jurapari, Altifrons, Brasiliensis, Chocolates and a severum. Largest fish now is 7". I have pairs and trios. It is a peaceful tank. When they hit full size I do have other tanks if needed to make room. I would look into a pair of any of these for you 55.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan64
I have a 125 South American species tank. I keep Jurapari, Altifrons, Brasiliensis, Chocolates and a severum. Largest fish now is 7". I have pairs and trios. It is a peaceful tank. When they hit full size I do have other tanks if needed to make room. I would look into a pair of any of these for you 55.
The Lfs suggested getting 1 m/f pair of dwarf cichlids as 'trophy' fish for.my tank. He said not to get other species of dwarf and just to stick with 1 dwarf pair. Along with whatever community fish I go with.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #10

If you find what you like then that is all that matters.

Tags
tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com