German ballon Rams and Rams in general

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my rams a few days ago and some today. They seem to be loosing color compared to the time they were back in the fish store. My ph is 7.4+. Will they be okay? They're always hiding. How do I make them come out?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size tank?

What are your other water parameters?

Fish will often lose colors and be shy at first when adjusting to their new environment.

How long did you acclimate them?

Caleb

Rams are cichlids. They are territorial fishes.

How many makes did you get? I wasn't able to keep them as 4 pairs in my 65g fully planted tank.

Due to stress, one of the female died quickly leaving the male to female ratio unbalanced and eventually the rest died off leaving just 2 males. Now we added about 8 females and they seem happy. None died

IMO you will have trouble(sooner or later).
Rams are a very peaceful fish to most others besides themselves!
4 in any tank are not favorable numbers for the weakest.
Again IMO you need to "overstock" these guys or only keep a pair.
GH is most important for fishes comfort so that is a test you should do.
They like soft water.
Hopefully they color up good for you and do well.
If a pair bonds the females will be as mean as the males to others(ask me how I know).
99907-albums14345-picture68745.jpg

What size tank?

What are your other water parameters?

Fish will often lose colors and be shy at first when adjusting to their new environment.

How long did you acclimate them?

Caleb

60g
Ammonia 0 a tiny hint of green very tiny almost unnoticeable

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0 with a tiny bit of an orange tint. Also barely noticeable

Ph 7.6+

Temp 86

It's been about 6 days since I introduced them to the tank. I acclimated them kinda poorly. I would say about 30 mins? I would put them in a bucket and pour a pitcher of tank water every 5 mins and pour out the old water.

Rams are cichlids. They are territorial fishes.

How many makes did you get? I wasn't able to keep them as 4 pairs in my 65g fully planted tank.

Due to stress, one of the female died quickly leaving the male to female ratio unbalanced and eventually the rest died off leaving just 2 males. Now we added about 8 females and they seem happy. None died

I have 6 German balloon Rams. I think all of them are male ? and some other tiny misc Rams

IMO you will have trouble(sooner or later).
Rams are a very peaceful fish to most others besides themselves!
4 in any tank are not favorable numbers for the weakest.
Again IMO you need to "overstock" these guys or only keep a pair.
GH is most important for fishes comfort so that is a test you should do.
They like soft water.
Hopefully they color up good for you and do well.
If a pair bonds the females will be as mean as the males to others(ask me how I know).
99907-albums14345-picture68745.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430592309.131002.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430592333.309982.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430592365.454665.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430592383.065854.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430592426.955585.jpg

They're always hiding behind the plants or near the slate rocks. They actually seem better than yesterday. Could it be because I added more of them yesterday?. Btw, I'm having a hard time telling if they're male or female. Can you help?

Get a lot more deco on the bottom of tank.
Line of sight breaks are very important so slower/weaker ones can hide and claim some territory even if small.
My pic doesn't even show 1/2 of the stock(all GBR).
I think I see two electric blue ram and a dwarf gourami in pics also?
The more hides and comfort you offer the more they will come out.

Definitely would keep an eye on them.

I must say that's a beautiful tank I love the contrast of the wood and slate compared to the sand.

I would make sure the rocks are firm and secure. All it takes is one good bump from a fish and it comes falling.

Caleb

Get a lot more deco on the bottom of tank.
Line of sight breaks are very important so slower/weaker ones can hide and claim some territory even if small.
My pic doesn't even show 1/2 of the stock(all GBR).
I think I see two electric blue ram and a dwarf gourami in pics also?
The more hides and comfort you offer the more they will come out.

Ohhhh ic thanks!

Definitely would keep an eye on them.

I must say that's a beautiful tank I love the contrast of the wood and slate compared to the sand.

I would make sure the rocks are firm and secure. All it takes is one good bump from a fish and it comes falling.

Caleb

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom