german blue ram and angel blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bthomas

Aquarium Advice Activist
So ive been looking into getting two geman blue rams for my 55 gallon. I went to my normal lfs today but the tank had ich so they weren't for sale.I called another store who had what he called angel rams-i went to check them out and they look similar in some ways but its obviously not the same fish. Anyone know anything about them?? Thanks :)

They are not a angelfish x ram hybrid, that's not possible to cross those specific genus of cichlids. They're your basic rams which are inbred to excentruate certain body proportions and coloration, basically like ballon rams. As bad enough as the new generation of poorly bred rams weren't offered lately weren't enough some other moron decided to weaken the strains even further with this poor new monstrosity. I'd skip them personally and find a local breeder with good stock and better breeding techniques, you'll find a much higher level of long term success.

Last edited:
+1 to the last post. you know something sounds fishy, no pun intended, when the name of the fish just doesn't ring a bell. the lack of genetic diversity and over-manipulation of the gene pool fir these poor guys usually mean a short life span and infertility

Ive read alot on here about people recommending the german blue. I havent bought any yet because of these stores labels. The first store (that had ich) had these type of rams but labeled them german balloon rams ...I definitely dont want a more sensitive fish than a "normal" german ram or a weakened one! I downloaded a few pics that look like what thesestores were selling under two different names.(online they were angel veil rams AND balloon rams lol)

Attachments

• 3051767700_3f2f100fbe_z.jpeg
    3051767700_3f2f100fbe_z.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,237
  • ForumRunner_20130506_112804.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130506_112804.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 242
So I guess im asking if this angel/balloon ram is one in the same and also one I should steer clear from!

the balloon rams just look wrong. if i were u, i would give the Bolivian rams a try first. they're less sensitive than the German blue rams and are quite peaceful, although not as colorful as the German blues. the GBR requires well established tank preferably with plants and fin gravels with pllenty hiding places

the balloon rams just look wrong. if i were u, i would give the Bolivian rams a try first. they're less sensitive than the German blue rams and are quite peaceful, although not as colorful as the German blues. the GBR requires well established tank preferably with plants and fin gravels with pllenty hiding places

Yeah not a fan of balloons, it's just dumb to breed them like that they are beautiful just the way they are it's ridiculous. Anyway good info about rams. Some people have it easy with rams but one things for sure, your tank better be WELL cycled if you want to do a new ram justice.

Thanks for all the info... Ill look into those Bolivian rams for now I dont want fish that wont make it long term. My tank has been up for only 4 months all my levels say im cycled but I can wait if it means healthier fish

Back
Top Bottom