German Blue Ram Cichlid water conditioning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolfishguy12

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys;

Thinking about getting a pair of German Blue Ram Cichlids. From what I've read, they require water that is on the softer side, with low pH (5-7). My municipal tap water is moderate on the hardness scale, but the pH is relatively high (~7.5).

Do you have any suggestions on how to regulate the pH of my tap water to reduce it to tolerable ranges for the fish without the risk of sudden changes?

Instead of risking sudden changes in pH, if use drip acclimation do you think it would be ok to keep German Blue Ram Cichlids in medium water with 7.5pH?

My plan is to either just buy 1 pair for a single tank or one pair with a small school of neon tetra (I've heard having dither fish will reduce their stress).

Thanks!

I picked up 4 not to long ago. My ph is about 7.5 maybe little higher and I've had no trouble. If they are tank bred I've read they adjust to the ph better. I know a lot of people say they are difficult fish to raise but as long as you keep your water clean they aren't hard to maintain. My GBRs have grown quite big in the time I've had them. Bought them from a local breeder when they were tiny.

I picked up 4 not to long ago. My ph is about 7.5 maybe little higher and I've had no trouble. If they are tank bred I've read they adjust to the ph better. I know a lot of people say they are difficult fish to raise but as long as you keep your water clean they aren't hard to maintain. My GBRs have grown quite big in the time I've had them. Bought them from a local breeder when they were tiny.

How long have you had them? And have you ever had any problems?

Back
Top Bottom