German blue ram cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
36993-albums1744-picture13195.jpg

36993-albums1744-picture13191.jpg

36993-albums1744-picture13193.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32706.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32703.jpg

sorry some are a bit fuzzy. these are 2 different male rams. great fish. about 3 1/2 inches long.

here' are a few articles on the blue ram
German Blue Ram Cichlid
German Blue Ram
please take the time to read up on the ram before you get one. one thing i can't stress enough is clean water. frequent water changes are key to a healthy aquarium and fish. i do a 15 gal. water change every 3rd day (i have a 50 gal. aquarium) clean fresh water will keep your fish in top shape and keep disease out of the aquarium. i have some of the same fish for over 3 years. i credit that to water parameters and gravel cleaning on a regular basis. good luck. :)

here' are a few articles on the blue ram
German Blue Ram Cichlid
German Blue Ram
please take the time to read up on the ram before you get one. one thing i can't stress enough is clean water. frequent water changes are key to a healthy aquarium and fish. i do a 15 gal. water change every 3rd day (i have a 50 gal. aquarium) clean fresh water will keep your fish in top shape and keep disease out of the aquarium. i have some of the same fish for over 3 years. i credit that to water parameters and gravel cleaning on a regular basis. good luck. :)

I think I read most of the articles about German rams. I am kind of scared to get one. But I know what to do..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398397322.937815.jpgATTACH]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398397339.836411.jpg
This one is going to lay soon.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398397322.937815.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398397322.937815.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 101
Thanks!

My small experience is they cant live through poor water. I got a pair a ~ 18 months ago, and long story short, had a big bunch of plants melt on me at the same time and had a horrible water issue didn't notice until it was too late.

Then it took sooooo long before I was even willing to try them. I saw this handsome little guy (the one in the pics) and thought I would try. It is a mature tank and has a light bioload.

My pwc are about every 10 days -2 weeks. The hob filter has double media with a sponge prefilter and a chunk of media filter pad to soften the hob's outflow as well and it is over sized for the tank, 16G bowfront. I do 25-33% pwc. He has been getting more bold and friendly. Also had a big Koi Angel in there temporarily and that scared him, now there are 4 Diamond Tetras and a Betta, and the little Ram comes up to the top of the tank for food.

Looking for some local bred additions myself to get him some Ram friends... If not, then back to the lfs. When I got him he was in with about 4-5 other Rams and he was the only one with a lively brightness to him and very active. Gorgeous fish which I really love.

Thanks!

My small experience is they cant live through poor water. I got a pair a ~ 18 months ago, and long story short, had a big bunch of plants melt on me at the same time and had a horrible water issue didn't notice until it was too late.

Then it took sooooo long before I was even willing to try them. I saw this handsome little guy (the one in the pics) and thought I would try. It is a mature tank and has a light bioload.

My pwc are about every 10 days -2 weeks. The hob filter has double media with a sponge prefilter and a chunk of media filter pad to soften the hob's outflow as well and it is over sized for the tank, 16G bowfront. I do 25-33% pwc. He has been getting more bold and friendly. Also had a big Koi Angel in there temporarily and that scared him, now there are 4 Diamond Tetras and a Betta, and the little Ram comes up to the top of the tank for food.

Looking for some local bred additions myself to get him some Ram friends... If not, then back to the lfs. When I got him he was in with about 4-5 other Rams and he was the only one with a lively brightness to him and very active. Gorgeous fish which I really love.

So was it hard to keep them?

So was it hard to keep them?

No, very easy with a stable, mature tank/filter. Don't over feed, and I don't use flake food almost ever. Personally, I tend to over feed and the flake food generally breaks down to ammonia very fast, which I don't like! I use Hikari as a base food. Micro Bites and Betta Bio Gold food, Sinking wafers, Algae wafers. Brine shrimp, Tubiflex worms, freeze dried. Frozen Brine shrimp and baby Brine shrimp. I would feed Blood Worms, but I am allergic.

No, very easy with a stable, mature tank/filter. Don't over feed, and I don't use flake food almost ever. Personally, I tend to over feed and the flake food generally breaks down to ammonia very fast, which I don't like! I use Hikari as a base food. Micro Bites and Betta Bio Gold food, Sinking wafers, Algae wafers. Brine shrimp, Tubiflex worms, freeze dried. Frozen Brine shrimp and baby Brine shrimp.

Would you recommend to me? I have 50 gallon with just gravels driftwood and some fish. I will be remodeling with sand and drifts and new light. I won't be using a canister filter. And would you recommend to use water from my tank or just start a new one?

Probably if you don't have to worry about it being a showpiece for a while, I would add new DW and half of the sand in there, kind of mix it together, and let it go for a few weeks. When you make your plan for a date for the change over, clean the filter pad with treated tank water at least 10 days to 2 weeks before, light feeding till the change. This way when you change everything over, you don't clean the filter pads right away, so you don't loose any significant BB. You can use half of your old tank water, the top clean half. Then use a kitchen sifter to pull out the gravel from the sand, sand goes right through.

Use only treated water to ever rinse stuff in the tank so you don't loose much BB.

When I changed over one of my tanks to new substrate, I ended up with a big mini cycle. That is the only reason I suggest that way.

Otherwise just do it like you normally would, just do it all at once, and the other stuff I mentioned, except combining the sand and DW. Just monitor the tank for awhile afterwords to make sure you don't have a mini cycle.

Probably if you don't have to worry about it being a showpiece for a while, I would add new DW and half of the sand in there, kind of mix it together, and let it go for a few weeks. When you make your plan for a date for the change over, clean the filter pad with treated tank water at least 10 days to 2 weeks before, light feeding till the change. This way when you change everything over, you don't clean the filter pads right away, so you don't loose any significant BB. You can use half of your old tank water, the top clean half. Then use a kitchen sifter to pull out the gravel from the sand, sand goes right through.

Use only treated water to ever rinse stuff in the tank so you don't loose much BB.

When I changed over one of my tanks to new substrate, I ended up with a big mini cycle. That is the only reason I suggest that way.

Otherwise just do it like you normally would, just do it all at once, and the other stuff I mentioned, except combining the sand and DW. Just monitor the tank for awhile afterwords to make sure you don't have a mini cycle.

Wait what?! I would be so glad if you do it in bullet point or in order. :) I am so sorry. Since this is my second language, I can't understand big orders without any bullet points.
How about my other fish?
What's Dw and BB

I feed them sinking pellets. (really small)
But in my experience, what really brought out their colors is the driftwood I added to the tank. Also, I left the lights off for a week (we were on vacation), and when I came back, woah. Their colors suddenly appeared. (unlike from when I just got them from the lfs)

Wait what?! I would be so glad if you do it in bullet point or in order. :) I am so sorry. Since this is my second language, I can't understand big orders without any bullet points.
How about my other fish?
What's Dw and BB

DW is driftwood
BB is beneficial bacteria

Here is a list for abbreviations like the ones above
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - FAQ: Acronyms and Abbreviations

Your fish can go into a bucket with an air pump, air stone, and heater while you make the change.

I will try to fix this tomorrow, it is very late here. I apologize, I am getting tired.

Back
Top Bottom