German Blue Ram Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got the idea from BrianNY who initiated a thread regarding discus. Since German Blue (and most other Rams) have a history of premature demise, I thought folks who keep Rams could come here to discuss their experiences.

I'll start with mine:

My first two German Blues I got were sometime around the 10th of April of this year. I got them from a reliable and clean LFS, so I didn't have any worries about their health in the stock tank.

I acclimated them for 45 minutes, adding my tank water at 15 minute intervals.

When they entered the tank, they immediately went to the bottom and found a hiding place. They stayed together during their entire stay.

They did not eat (or I did not see them eating) for about 4 days. After the 5th day, they did eat...even chowed on some green peas. After day 6, the first one was found dead by my wife. The next day, the other was dead as well.

I didn't give up on them and decided two weeks ago to give it another try. I got 4 from a different LFS (recommended by another AA member). This time, I tried a different acclimation procedure. I floated the bag only, then netted them out and into the tank.

So far, they are doing quite well, even though initially they assumed the same behavior as the originals however, they began eating after day two (even though they'd rather pick food off the rocks rather than joining their tankmates either at mid-level or the surface).

I've also decided to clock their progress in 1/2 hour intervals so I can see any potential signs of problems.

I just got a pair last Friday (my first cichlids!). They are doing fine so far, great
colours, and they come to the surface to eat, with the rest of the crowd. They
spend a lot of time exploring their new home. They also seem to be lurking about,
stalking the tiny platy fry. I have heard about them being fragile and short lived.
I read that the longest they ever live in captivity is 3 years, if you are very lucky.

BTW, great idea Jchillin! 8)

My first 2 rams died 4 days after I got them .. about a day apart.. the next try, the 2nd set I drip acclimated, one died the next day and the other lived for about 3 months.. I think he came down with something bad.. his scales started lifting and body was sinking in.. dropsy? well I gave up on the rams and moved towards apistos, and they are doing fine.. here is a good link for rams.. lots of good info.

http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/blue rams.html

The book that BrianNY was touting in his thread is basically for all cichlids health wise.. and have you guys tried the drip method to acclimate the rams to your water? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had quite a scare yesterday with my rams, but all seems well now. I am doing small (3 to 5 gallon) water changes. Two yesterday one today. These little guys are getting very bold. They are begging for food, and will take bloodworms out of my fingers. Before I knew Jc had started this thread I sent him a pm about an interesting behavior I noticed....
I have noticed some interesting behavior between the two boys(?) and I was wondering if you notice the same with yours. They have staked out territories on opposite ends of the tank. Sometimes the small one will wander over to the bigger ones side. He is promptly chased back to his own side. But I have noticed that sometimes the little one will change his colors. He gets really faded. The stripe over his eyes goes away and so do his spots. Where there are darker vertical bands on his body, those fade but look like two horizontal stripes when he is done. One on the top of his body and one in the middle.
I really hope these guys make it. I would love to get a little female for them :D

well, let me tell you my story. About 1 month ago, i bought a male and female blue ram. they both were happy the first 2 days. they eat and swam together all over the tank. day 3 she died. day 4 he seemed sad. day 5 i guess his heart was broken and he passed on.

maybe a week later we bought 3 new blue rams. 2 male and 1 female. accilmated them a different way. left all light off, 15 mins in bag, then 5 min interval of pouring water for hour 30 or so. then in the tank they went. all was going well until day 8 without warning that morning we found her died. 1 day later the little male passed with no warning. our last male is doing great he owns the tank, 19 day later.

i got my 1st pair of rams about 3-4 months ago. my male died a couple weeks afer when i had just finished fighting ich(used the heat treatment) the female is alot hardier than most it seams. its servived 40-80 nitrate ich(just found it again on a new fish :( ) and is doing very well. i got another male 1-2months ago and they have spawned once, though it doesnt seem to be regular(ph8).

Joe - I found that link while researching Rams as well. Found some great info in it and I recommend that site to anyone attempting to keep German Blues.

greenmaji said:
have you guys tried the drip method to acclimate the rams to your water?

This is one of the major problems with Rams. Highly sensitive to water parameters. It seems the longer you keep them in transit water, the worse it can get. On the other hand, they are also sensitive to ph swings. Although the author of the information in the link joe provided has used it, it would be beneficial to ask the supplier of your Rams what the ph of their water is. You can then use the acclimation method best suited for the particular situation.

Glad you started this thread JC. I hope others will follow with the species of interest to them.

Oddly, although I've always like rams I don't ever remember keeping them. Therefore I may not have much useful info to impart here. I do know that they are very senstive to any changing water parameters.

I saw a spectacular tank of them at my lfs. There were maybe 30 in a planted 55 gallon. They all seemed to be doing very well. Active with really vibrant colors. Makes me wonder if they aren't a shoal fish, and possibly stress when their numbers are reduced to low. Just a thought.

*Jchillin makes a mental note to visit Brian's LFS*

Amazing enough, I've yet to see or hear any mention of Ram shoalling, which makes your observation an interesting one. Each LFS, breeder I been to or seen, keeps a similar number in their tanks.

The other thing I've observed is that only once did I see Rams in a planted stock tank.

Very interesting indeed Brian...good observation as I hadn't considered it until now.

Good idea Jchillin. :D I'll add my ram experiences.
I have two pairs of german blues. I bought my first pair almost a year ago and they have always been hearty and very un-shy fish. Feeding at the top of the tank. I used to keep them with angels and cories and they've done great. This pair is now housed with cories,blue eyed, featherfinned and celebes rainbows and are starting to spawn. I aquired my second pair about three months ago and they are hearty and active just like the first. They are in with some angels and cories and are very aggressive eaters. Perhaps I've gotten lucky and they love my water but, so far I'm 2 (pairs) for 2. Oh, and the one tank is semi planted with some java fern and moss balls, the other tank just has some hornwort floating. Both have driftwood, incase that makes a difference. ??

That's a great idea, and I will do that as soon as I get home. On my way out for a family picnic. :D

Here is all I test for
tank #1
ammonia 0 nitrites0 nitrates 10 ph6.6 hph 7.4 phos 2
tank #2
ammonia0 nitrite0 nitrate >10 ph7.0 hph7.8 phos 2

It may well be. I didn't say it wasn't important, only saying I don't test for it. I can't give you an answer I don't have. :?

Well king fred passed away about 5 min. ago. we had a power outage over the night and everything was off for don't know how long. Guessing he didn't have enough oxygen so we took prefilter off and he perked up, then he started swiming around and went by the intake and got stuck. We took him off as soon as it happened, but we were not quick enough. He passed on! RIP 5-30-05 King Fred

Back
Top Bottom