Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

German Blue Ram Discussion

*Note: The thread "German Blue Ram Discussion" has grown to immense proportions since it's inception last year. If anyone wishes to read through the entire thread, it can be found Here

In the meantime, the discussion can continue as I will include some pertinent posts from the thread here.

Thanks to all that have participated.

*Fixed link* -QTOFFER-

Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

*Reposted from May 29, 2005*

I got the idea from BrianNY who initiated a thread regarding discus. Since German Blue (and most other Rams) have a history of premature demise, I thought folks who keep Rams could come here to discuss their experiences.

I'll start with mine:

My first two German Blues I got were sometime around the 10th of April of this year. I got them from a reliable and clean LFS, so I didn't have any worries about their health in the stock tank.

I acclimated them for 45 minutes, adding my tank water at 15 minute intervals.

When they entered the tank, they immediately went to the bottom and found a hiding place. They stayed together during their entire stay.

They did not eat (or I did not see them eating) for about 4 days. After the 5th day, they did eat...even chowed on some green peas. After day 6, the first one was found dead by my wife. The next day, the other was dead as well.

I didn't give up on them and decided two weeks ago to give it another try. I got 4 from a different LFS (recommended by another AA member). This time, I tried a different acclimation procedure. I floated the bag only, then netted them out and into the tank.

So far, they are doing quite well, even though initially they assumed the same behavior as the originals however, they began eating after day two (even though they'd rather pick food off the rocks rather than joining their tankmates either at mid-level or the surface).

I've also decided to clock their progress in 1/2 hour intervals so I can see any potential signs of problems.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I want them Can't find them anywhere near here.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
The lfs here has bunches of them....
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have never seen a live one.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfblue
The lfs here has bunches of them....
Sure rub it in. :P :P

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is it just me but when I click the link for the original thread I get a thread called PlantXchange?

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, I posted toward the end that I got a few of them. I started with 4, 2 died about 2-3 days later while still in QT, so I replaced the two of them, and the ones I replaced them with were so different the the original 4. They colored up, were active, ate readily, and soon my original 2 were taking fresh brine, and I thought all was good... So naive! about a week after I added the two new ones, I noticed a few white specks on one of the rams. Pretty soon, it was full blown Ich! I moved the temp up to 82 (was previously at 80) which is as far as my heater will go, did an 80% pwc and treated with QuickCure. the next day one was dead, and they slowly died off in the next few days. I also lost my kuhlis that were QTed with them. Ironically, my two common male guppies that live in there permanently never seemed to be affected. They never even had spots on them!

I wasn't sure where the Ich came from, since I carefully studied the tanks they came from as well as the rest of the tanks in the store, and there was no sign of ich. Nothing new had been added to the tank aside from the rams too. Well, I stopped by the lfs today just to see, and sure enough, the tank with the rams was infested with ich. It's been a hard few weeks, with the uncertainty, then everything seemed to be going well, and then disaster. It was sad watching these beautiful, friendly fish die like that.

My QT is back to just the original inhabitants (the 2 male guppies and 2 ADF) and I'll wait a few more weeks before I try again!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I fixed the link, JChillin and Zagz.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've had fairly good luck with GBRs

I have a moderately planted 29g with pressurized CO2 injection that had a beautiful pair of rams in it. I had them for a few months together when I noticed them spawning in a clay pot one afternoon. Of course the next morning all of the eggs were gone, I suppose either they ate them themselves because they weren't going to hatch or a cory got them, but no more than a few days later the female was floating. The male is still kicking to this day though.

I have a pair in a 20gL that have spawned multiple times and I don't do anything with that tank other than weekly 50% water changes.

I recently setup a 55g heavily planted with pressurized CO2 and I've got three in there hoping that a pair will form. They all look great and have been eating since day two and I got those from a Petco.

I've had even better luck with Bolivian Rams, but they aren't quite as cool.

I do always do a slow assimilation, put them in a bowl and slow drip until I hit 50/50 old/new water and drain down to 1/3 and fill it back to 100% again with tiny bit of air being pumped into the water the entire time and always put them in with the lights off. Might be overdoing it some but I've had good results.

They are stocked everywhere around here though.

Tags
blue ram, discus, german blue ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com