German Blue Ram (Microgeophagus ramirezi)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's my tank:

Filter- Aqua clear 20 (with sponge, carbon, and bio-max running)

Heating- Tronic 50 watt (77-80 degrees)

CO2- DIY

Lighting- about 2 watts per gallon

Substrate- onyx sand

Plants- Rotala Indica
Anubius Nana
Moneywort
Hairgrass
Wisteria

All kept trimed leaving plenty of swimming space

Decor- One piece of drift wood almost splits the tank in half diagnoly
2 small pieces of white honeycomb rock

Here's my question:

Is this a good setup for 2 german blue rams? I saw them for the first time at a lfs and I found them to be incredibly beautiful. My tank has been currently running for almost a month now and all nitrates and ammonia are pretty much gone. I am going to running for 2 more weeks to another month before I get any fish ( I'm patient, better safe than sorry. I would hate to kill any fish). I was starting to look for fish to add and these struck me as the ones I want. I hope this setup fitts their required habitat. Also if they are compatible with this enviornment, what fish and/or inverts are ok with them? shrimp? algea eaters? corys? If they can't live in this enviornment are their any dwarf cichlid that can? Thank you to anyone who replies. Sorry for rambling so much I just am really anxtious to know if I can do this. Again thank you.

With no fish in the tank, how did you cycle it? The tank needs a steady stream of ammonia caused by waste to stay cycled.

I had used some danios and some substrate and fiter media from a mature tank to get it started but now it is running fine.

Sounds like a nice tank.
I envy the Ram. Jeff
PS Just what do people do with their used Danios?

My tank has been currently running for almost a month now and all nitrates and ammonia are pretty much gone.
You want nitrItes and ammonia to be undectable. What is the pH and gh/kh?

The plants should help to keep the ammonia and nitrates undetectable. I'm sure the rams will love it.

Cafe Jeff, I borrowed the danios from a friend's tank only one of the 8 died. After that I gave them back and they are doing fine.

The problem isn't size as much as they occupy the same space in the tank.. Even if you get it to work for a while if the rams decide to breed then they might see the cories as a threat. I have 3 corys and 3 rams in a 58g and I consider that maximum. I have lots of driftwood and hiding places for them...

I found pigmys to be timid little cories that like peace and quiet..

cheers,

mooose

I was planing on a small school of pygmy cories 5-8
That's too many for a 10 gal. I will go against the trend here and say add three. I find them to be amousing little corries with spunk. They are more active in all water levels than their relatives. If there is enough decor in the tank, I think they will do well. If the rams are breeding, then you may run into trouble.

I'm not a fan of cories in ram tanks if you've got breeders: because the cories will occupy the same space in the tank, they WILL take some abuse from protective parents.

I"m a little concerned about the hardness. Is it 7dGh? if so that should be ok, but 7dKh adn a pH of 6.5 don't jive. Blue rams like softer water, but if you mean 7dGh, then ignore me.

5-8 cories is too many for a tank that size with 2 blue rams. However you do want some other calm fish in there. Why? Well when I kept rams, they always hid. In their natural environment they are prey to larger fish. Keeping other peaceful, confident fish (like small tetra) will signal to the rams that the coast is clear. After adding 2 rummy nose tetra to my 20gallon, my rams coloration improved drastically, and they began to swim freely throughout the tank. Unfortunately I didn't use R/O water and I have semi-hard water. Eventually they all died, one by one...very sad, especially since I went through 6-7 at $10 a piece.

Sounds like once the ammonia/nitrites are 0 you're god to go. Rams seem to like a pH of around 7.6-7.8... mine do much better at the 7.8 they're at right now. They also prefer somewhat cooler temps... 76 to 80 degrees. Get rid of your ammo/nitrites, and go for it! They are easy and gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom