German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok.....I had to get rid (interpret that - take back to the LFS) my 5 Bleeding Hearts as they were harassing my 5 Angels. While at the LFS, I spoke with the keeper of the FW section on recommendations for replacement fish. He pointed me to a tank that contained German Blue Rams. I've been thinkning about getting a couple of these anyways, and after our conversation, decided to take 4. I questioned whether I should only go with 2 and was assured that in my 70 gallon, I could easily have 4-6. The Rams I purchased appear to be pretty mature as they are easily 1.5 inches. I have 3 long fin and 1 'normal' fin and they were introduced to the tank about 1 week ago.

My problem/question is this: the 'normal' fin Ram appears to be a bully. He has set up shop in the middle of the tank on the bottom. He just sits there waiting for any of the long fin Rams to show their face. When that attempt to come out of hiding (my tank has quite a few plants on the end they are in), he makes a run at them 'scaring' them back into the plants. Over the past couple of days, it looks like the other Rams even have a hard time eating. I know that Rams can be territorial but I'm now wondering if the 'problem' is more of a long fin vs. 'normal' fin thing.

Any suggestions? I'm kinda comtemplating taking him back to the LFS.......I know that one idea is to isolate him into another tank....but, I don't have another tank! :(

Thanks

Hmmm...I do not claim to be a German Blue Ram expert (I have kept them for a few months though)...but I'm not aware of short and long finned varieties.

Lots of photos here you can use to see if they sold you the wrong fish: http://www.ciklidi.com/ciklidi/papiliochromis/ciklidi_papiliochromis.shtml (however the site is in German or Dutch or some other such language...but the photos are excellent)

Back
Top Bottom