Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to donttaptheglass Send a message via Yahoo to donttaptheglass
German Blue Rams . . .territorial?

I've got a pair of GBR's in a 55Gal with Angels, Swordtails, Danios, Platys and a Dwarf Gourami . . . the female of the pair swims around all over the tank and just kind of hangs out with everyone else, peacefully and pleasantly. The male on the other hand, has "his corner". He stays there most of the time and aggressively chases anyone else out of it, regardless of size. I didn't realize that the GBR's were territorial, or is this unusual behavior?

Edit: I just stuck my hand in there to turn the heater down a little bit, and the little $%&* nipped at my hand . . . brave little sucker!

2nd Edit: Even his female counterpart, he doesn't want her over there either.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only time my blue rams ever did that, they turned up dead within a week.

My water is much too hard to keep those lovely fish.

As for the nipping..try reaching into a tank of african cichlids and tiger barbs!

Old 02-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rams are cichlids, and all mature male cichlids are territorial to some extent. At least rams don't want the whole tank as their territory.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If this ram is still a juvenile, then I would say he is not well. Does he eat or even swim around a little bit? Are his dorsal fins constantly upright or relaxed? Are his black band really darkened?

Try a partial water change and check behavior afterward.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to donttaptheglass Send a message via Yahoo to donttaptheglass
He's still a juvenile, I've only had him two days . . . he does swim around occasionally, even to chase his female counterpart all the way to the other side of the tank . . . he seems the most annoyed with her than anyone else. Dorsal fins are only upright when he gets ready to chase someone, and he is eating. As far as his black marks, don't notice them being any darker really, but I couldn't honestly tell you the answer to that one. He mostly stays near the top in the very corner hugged up against the top of the UGF uplift tube and comes out to chase away intruders.

Just finished a 40% PWC about 15 minutes ago. Had nitrites of .25 before the PWC, so I'll give it a little bit and retest the water and see how he's doing then. Otherwise he may have to spend the night in the "time out" tank.

Edit: Yeah, I just watched him do it again . . . he'll chase his female all the way across to the other side of the tank . . . only her, the rest he just chases out of his corner. I don't get that. She not gonna let him watch the Super Bowl or what?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
Are you sure "she" is a she?

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

A point of contention that I had thought of . . .the first ray of the dorsal fin on the alleged "her" is shorter than on the other one, but . . . .my eyesight could always be playing with me too.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, upon further study, what we believe we have are two females . . . there are blue spots inside and around the large black spot on the side of BOTH fish, although the blue spots run right around the edge of the black spot on both of them, and we've been watching them for a couple of hours now and they are being real nasty to each other, including a rather nasty confrontation over top of an algae tablet which ended with one of them going back to their corner and the other continuing to peck at the algae tablet.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

how u know if it is male or female cause I have two and have no idea what they are
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

From what we have read, if there are any irridescent blue spots IN or AROUND the big black spot on its side, it is a female . . . there are no blue spots in or around the black spot if it is a male, and the first 3 rays of its dorsal fin are supposed to be longer if it is a male.

Tags
blue ram, blue rams, german blue ram, german blue rams, rams, territorial

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com