German Blue Rams . . .territorial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a pair of GBR's in a 55Gal with Angels, Swordtails, Danios, Platys and a Dwarf Gourami . . . the female of the pair swims around all over the tank and just kind of hangs out with everyone else, peacefully and pleasantly. The male on the other hand, has "his corner". He stays there most of the time and aggressively chases anyone else out of it, regardless of size. I didn't realize that the GBR's were territorial, or is this unusual behavior?

Edit: I just stuck my hand in there to turn the heater down a little bit, and the little $%&* nipped at my hand . . . brave little sucker!

2nd Edit: Even his female counterpart, he doesn't want her over there either.

Only time my blue rams ever did that, they turned up dead within a week.

My water is much too hard to keep those lovely fish.

As for the nipping..try reaching into a tank of african cichlids and tiger barbs!

Rams are cichlids, and all mature male cichlids are territorial to some extent. At least rams don't want the whole tank as their territory.

If this ram is still a juvenile, then I would say he is not well. Does he eat or even swim around a little bit? Are his dorsal fins constantly upright or relaxed? Are his black band really darkened?

Try a partial water change and check behavior afterward.

He's still a juvenile, I've only had him two days . . . he does swim around occasionally, even to chase his female counterpart all the way to the other side of the tank . . . he seems the most annoyed with her than anyone else. Dorsal fins are only upright when he gets ready to chase someone, and he is eating. As far as his black marks, don't notice them being any darker really, but I couldn't honestly tell you the answer to that one. He mostly stays near the top in the very corner hugged up against the top of the UGF uplift tube and comes out to chase away intruders.

Just finished a 40% PWC about 15 minutes ago. Had nitrites of .25 before the PWC, so I'll give it a little bit and retest the water and see how he's doing then. Otherwise he may have to spend the night in the "time out" tank.

Edit: Yeah, I just watched him do it again . . . he'll chase his female all the way across to the other side of the tank . . . only her, the rest he just chases out of his corner. I don't get that. She not gonna let him watch the Super Bowl or what?

A point of contention that I had thought of . . .the first ray of the dorsal fin on the alleged "her" is shorter than on the other one, but . . . .my eyesight could always be playing with me too.

Ok, upon further study, what we believe we have are two females . . . there are blue spots inside and around the large black spot on the side of BOTH fish, although the blue spots run right around the edge of the black spot on both of them, and we've been watching them for a couple of hours now and they are being real nasty to each other, including a rather nasty confrontation over top of an algae tablet which ended with one of them going back to their corner and the other continuing to peck at the algae tablet.

how u know if it is male or female cause I have two and have no idea what they are

From what we have read, if there are any irridescent blue spots IN or AROUND the big black spot on its side, it is a female . . . there are no blue spots in or around the black spot if it is a male, and the first 3 rays of its dorsal fin are supposed to be longer if it is a male.

Ok, it was just getting too bad . . . both GBR's are out in separate QT's all by themselves . . .they're gonna have to go back to the LFS tomorrow to see if we can iron things out. I had to use the net to separate them in a vicious battle over an algae tablet . . .was really starting to get ugly . . . and in their off time they were both off chasing the Angels

I'm disappointed . . . I liked those fish.

Anyone recommend suitable replacements that wont antagonize the rest of my little family? 3 Angels, 2 swordtails, 6 danios, 3 platys, 3 plecos and a Dwarf Gourami

as far as I can tell, the first link you gave me should be a female, and the second a male . . . .and the offending spot should be the largest one on its side.

i see one on my newly bought ram but the other does not have a spot but has same black line running though its eye etc.

Honestly, I'm trying to figure this out right now just like you are, so don't go by me at all. From what I've read, all the ones down that left side of that page you just gave me could go either way because the spots are IN and AROUND the large black spot, but they also have the pronounced first 3 rays of the dorsal fin . . . so I'm turning out to be as confused as you are. The pic of the dwarf GBR with NO spots threw me for a loop, so I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom