German Blue Rams *Updated with pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: German Blue Rams

lovemybarbs said:
Anyone have some pointers about my new German Blue Ram pair??

I just bought them today. thanks!
keep there water clean...

feed them

they like plants...

what do you want to know?

Will they come out and socialize, or will they hide out? Right now they are in the back of the tank.

What kind of food do you think is their favorite?

These two are pretty small I think.

They will be more social once they get settled in, and their color will probably improve when their comfort level improves. Since you just got them today, they are likely very stressed out at the moment, and they may not eat for a day or two. As far as favorite foods, they will eat just about any kind of frozen food, and they especially love bloodworms. It's likely that they will also accept any high quality flake and pellet food that you feed. The ones I've cared for at work get NLS small fish pellet and they like it. Also, I agree that they appreciate plant cover (real or fake) as well as whatever caves are in your tank.

It's possible, but I think they will be more hesitant to approach the surface to eat. You could soak the freeze dried food in tank water before you feed the tank, but the rams would really prefer frozen food, LOL.

Once they settle in, they should come to the surface for some food. I personally use OSI Cichlid Flake Food. They really like it. They also like nibbling on a shrimp pellet.

I have pellets for the pictus.

According to the link I have a male and a female. Awwwwwwwww.

I have entirely too many different kinds of food in there. It's embarassing. :oops:

EDIT: They are doing great. This morning they had breakfast. I clipped a few pics. Ignore the big crazy barbs.

img_749396_0_45420cda574581cb9650142207fc5f9a.jpg

img_749396_1_aadc9070d93b0ba3deb8b392b8199168.jpg

The boss had to come out and see what was up.

img_749396_2_45731eafe9352af6ad677eeb31f037f4.jpg

It's really tough to tell, but one has a teeny tiny more dorsal than the other when she puts it up. I think the LFS guy knew what he was doing.

At first I thought the female had an extra spot, but I think that is wrong. I looked at that link (posted in an above response) a bit more closely.

Not really the greatest pics for sexing. They look like they are pretty young...did anyone at the lfs say how old they were. 4-5 months?

If I get anywhere near the tanks, the barbs thinks it is feeding time and get in the way. The other pics I took have blurred fish in the middle of them.

Here is what I think is the girl. She's in front of the cave.

img_749745_0_58e25a40dc10fba93d7e4e7beb9b3c0f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom