german rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polyester06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pair of German Blue Rams in my 30 gallon community tank, along with a Curviceps Cichlid, a Krib, a bunch of tetras, and then 7 or so Dwarf Pufferfish. Oh yea, then some Otos and a Clown Pleco. I was wondering if the Rams would just breed all on their own in this aquarium, like if I just let them be it would naturally occur. They're quite young yet, but they stick together. I have a 15 gallon aquarium full of surface dwelling fish except for the catfish and my Apisto so I could move the pair into there if it'd increase the odds of them breeding, it's set up with more hiding places but it'd be more crowded and the Apisto wouldn't dare leave the pair alone I'm sure.

You just mentioned one of my favorite topics :)

You can take a look at German Blue Ram Profile, including breeding habits

You can begin by trying to sex your pair, that will get the ball rolling. Indeed, the GBR's would need a hiding spot in order to do their thing. Separating them from aggressive fish (or even opportunistic ones) for fry longevity is also a good idea.

Good luck!

Awesome! Thank you! Hopefully all goes well now, but if it doesn't... be prepared for a question or two from Poly. :fadein:

Well, they need good water quality like you have probably read in the article. But I would also be afraid, that all the other fish you have in there are going to eat the eggs. GBRs are not very caring parents. Mine only come back every now and then to fan the eggs, but don't change shifts to really protect the eggs nonstop.

Sometime I'm going to try and set up a breeding tank for them, because even my little endlers were eating their eggs :evil: .

Well the Apisto has a cloudy eye and is on the verge of dying, so now I don't have to worry about him. The transporting is about to commence... :twisted:

Why did he have a cloudy eye? would it have been a parasite or something? You might consider actually quarantining the tank b4 you add the rams, since they are very susceptable to disease and sensitive to water quality. Or is cloudy eye a naturally occuring thing in old apisto?

Back
Top Bottom