German rams. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcruz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm about to start trying to breed rams in a 29 gallon planted set up. Would you recommend bio wheel or canister filter? Also would two breeding pairs be ok in this size tank?

In a 29g I would only breed one pair, it'll be less stressful on the parents. I recommend at least a 48" footprint for two pairs.

Also for filtration you will have to weigh the options yourself. Canisters are more efficient and they are pretty much unbeaten in media storage. But they tend to cost more and can be complicated for a beginner to operate.
HOB filters are simple to run, cheap, and do a decent job at filtering. But they can be noisy, HOBs don't have the media storage capacity a cannister does, and tend to wear out faster.

Do your research on which would better suit your needs. Personally I would run a HOB on a 29g tank and if you have just the rams in there. Shoot for a filter rated for a 40g tank. Maybe a Penguin 200, or a Emperor 280.

In a 29g I would only breed one pair, it'll be less stressful on the parents. I recommend at least a 48" footprint for two pairs.

Also for filtration you will have to weigh the options yourself. Canisters are more efficient and they are pretty much unbeaten in media storage. But they tend to cost more and can be complicated for a beginner to operate.
HOB filters are simple to run, cheap, and do a decent job at filtering. But they can be noisy, HOBs don't have the media storage capacity a cannister does, and tend to wear out faster.

Do your research on which would better suit your needs. Personally I would run a HOB on a 29g tank and if you have just the rams in there. Shoot for a filter rated for a 40g tank. Maybe a Penguin 200, or a Emperor 280.

Thanks for the info. I have experience with both. My concern was more regarding the movement of the water as a canister will produce more and not sure if rams will tolerate that for breeding.

If this is a brand new tank than you'll need a few months before it's ready for rams period. They're not all that forgiving when it come to stability and water quality. Canisters are kind of a pita, 2 aquaclear 50 imo

Yes thank you...my main concern was the filter, thinking the canister may be too much

If you are going to let the parents raise the fry you should just go with an air driven sponge.
A 29 is alittle too big for rams IMO. They will keep better track of their fry in a 10 or even a 5g ..That is half the battle with having parents raise fry..They must be comfortable and able to monitor the fry at all times.Next you need the food to easily found by the fry should your fish let you get that far.
Good luck with the rams of today if you are not artificially hatching...In which case you can as many in any size tank as they allow..I have 16 EBR in a 40b and 14 GBR in a 40b...I pull eggs almost daily when they are in breeding cycle.
Where are you getting your rams from? GBR or EBR??:cool::whistle:

Back
Top Bottom