getting a little nutty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 of my new dudes & my new (not finished) set up

Attachments

• image-1840572890.jpg
    image-1840572890.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3203578116.jpg
    image-3203578116.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image-64796314.jpg
    image-64796314.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 69
You might want to keep an eye on the tropheus.They can be pretty mean and are built like little pit bulls.Mine were very aggressive and I had to return them to the shop.I read they are better off with their own kind in large numbers.Like 15 fish or so.

i'm hoping they're just settling in but it seems to have gotten worse lol

we shall see .. i'm gonna let em figure it out though .. i cant keep driving myself nuts

thanks for the help homies :)

ronnieroach said:
i'm hoping they're just settling in but it seems to have gotten worse lol

we shall see .. i'm gonna let em figure it out though .. i cant keep driving myself nuts

thanks for the help homies :)

Are your lights out when introducing? Adding new fish make your old fish feel like they are on their turf, and wanna rumble. Lol.

yeah they're off.. i just checked on 'em a few times to see the effects of my new DW.. i'm kinda diggin the tannin effect, but added new filter pads anyway as it was time

beautiful topheus! but i agree, they can be mean... lol

i hope the increase in stocking works out x

what so the lab had the blue face and was rare or am i confused? haha x

yeah apparently the blue / purple face means that its from asia & that its rare.. apparently lol

& as far as the increase in stock - doesnt seem to have worked toooo well yet but i cant care any more lol i'm just gonna feed em & let nature take its course

a lot of chasing & my new peacock is beat to a pulp lol not too beat up but frayed up pretty good

i have so many hiding spots & quick turns though, so if they're too stupid to use em theres nothing i can do lol

a lot of chasing & my new peacock is beat to a pulp lol not too beat up but frayed up pretty good...i have so many hiding spots & quick turns though, so if they're too stupid to use em theres nothing i can do lol

Hiding spots are only part of the equation. An uncompatible mix of cichlids can undermine typical aggression control measures. Things will get worse as the dominants and aggressors attain full maturity.

yeah i'm sure it'll get REALLY nutty if they dont get comfy with each other soon but i'm hoping its just a settling in thing. hopefully my lfs dude is right lol

if i could go back, i woulda researched lakes first & i woulda gone all peacocks. but, i lived & i learned (as always) & i'll figure it out as i go.

i've kept them fed well today & other than a few "get outta my way" chases, its been pretty calm.

& even though my aggression seemed elevated, everyone is in great condition (except the newest peacock who is a little beat up but hes the same size as my dominant peacock so it was hopefully just a "king of the tank" fight)

QUICK UPDATE

i'm keeping them well fed & it seems to be working out FOR NOW lol .. my new peacock doesnt look any worse & IMO seems to already be healing up a little

& even though my new DW has leeched out PLENTY of tannins (turning my water orange) their colors are POPPING!!!

why didnt you soak the DW beforehand? lol!

at least its going ok so far!! the peacock is doing good considering the mix of fish in there. i hope they all live and settle down.

how is the tropheus doing? he's supposed to have gunned down a few by now ;) xx

THANKS CRAZY!! i'm going to try & blacken out my gravel a little more too so hopefully I'LL be happy when i'm done lol

& MBF -- its like 2 feet long so i didnt really have the means to soak it.. i doubt my lady would have been down for the dishwasher & i have no clue how to use it hahaha

i grabbed some fluval ready carbon & stocking bags & was told that w/ that & some pwc's, i should nix the color

& it definitely seems ok FOR NOW.. obviously a lot of them arent mature yet so only time will tell.. but i'm optimistic :)

& surprise surprise, my tropheus is a wuss!!! he doesnt chase anyone that i can see.. he does get chased away quick by fish his size but the bigger ones could care less about him lol

just remember the moral of my story... i put the red empress girl in with mbuna and she got shredded within a few hours. you have multiple mbuna with multiple peacocks. i emphasise how maturity is not a good thing for your tank tbh ;)

ur so lucky to have got all survivors yet such an epic range.

how is the lab doing? x

yeah i know :( i'm in for a crazy tank if they dont all love eachother as time goes on BUT i am willing to rehome the mbunas, if need be.. i THINK thats only my:
3 kenyi
1 yellow lab
1 bumblebee
1 johanni
1 assorted mbuna (looks zebra-ish)

i REALLY dont wanna lose my red cherry zebra & acei though.. are those both mbuna too?? i'm guessing they are lol

but like i said, i'm willing to go all peacocks, but w/ my venustus & victoria's staying too, OBVIOUSLY lol

the lab is acting pretty calm.. he hasnt kept everyone to one side since the additions & i havent really seen him chase anyone at all

feeding time is frantic BUT peaceful & everyone is in great condition w/ only MINOR MINOR nips (minus the newest peacock, but even he's looking better)

i'll def keep up w/ the updates :)

Back
Top Bottom