Getting a new ram today...[update: I think I have a problem]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Despite my urges to be overly cautious, I can't stand my lone female ram looking so lonely since the other two died and will be bringing home a new male tonight. I am getting the ram from a fellow aquarist instead of the LFS.

While this could be a silly quetion, I thought I'd ask anyway... is there anything that I need to do differently or be aware of since I will be transfering the fish from one home tank to another (as opposed to the normal transfer from the LFS to my tank)? I've only bought from LFS's in the past...

Thanks!

probably just the same issues you'd normally be worried about. Disease, Acclimation.... have you tested the hardness of your water? Make sure your water is perfect because rams are very delicate. Do you know if you will be getting a male or female? If it is a male, make sure to watch the two for a few days because I've seen some super aggressive males that killed females, but mine are very sweet and only on a few occassions I have seem my male chase my female (and it was only for less than a second each time).

Umm...

I just brought this guy home and he is MASSIVE! Easily 3-4 times the size of my teeny-tiny female. Is this going to cause problems? Should I figure something else out? Ahhh!

I have never seen such a large ram in all my life...he's awesome :D

Nope, definitely a blue ram. Just a giant, mutant blue ram.

They seem to be doing ok so far...mostly eyeing each other through the bag, but in a "hello, who are you?" way and not a "hello, I want to kill you" way :D

He's the biggest one in there!! I would have cautioned you to QT him to get a feel for him and his temperament.

Yeah...I know :( But I've seen this aquarist's tanks several times, and know for a fact that she's had no diseases in the past year...so I took a risk and am now regretting it.

Although, if I had QTed it would have just delayed the inevitable, I think. Things are calming down just a little, but he is most definitely the biggest thing in there by far...it's ridiculous!

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things overnight and re-evaluate tomorrow...

if he doesn't leave everyone alone after establishing his territory, I'd take him back :? perhaps she has a smaller male?

Well, everyone seems to have calmed down this morning...all were sleeping comfortably in different corners of the tank when I left for work. I guess that he has established himself as supreme overlord with no damage done :D

that is a good thing then. Just don't do like me and put rams in with angelfish ... my rans got annihilated from my angels who deemed that they were not fit to be in that tank.

SerLunchbox said:
that is a good thing then. Just don't do like me and put rams in with angelfish ... my rans got annihilated from my angels who deemed that they were not fit to be in that tank.

Are angels that aggressive? I was planning to get some angels for my tetra tank but after hearing this, I don't think it's a good idea at all.

My angels do just fine with my rams. I've heard of a lot of people who have kept the two together. Perhaps those angels were spawning??

I read somewhere (can someone verify this?) that in the wild, tetras are a food source for some angels. I just checked DrFosterSmith compatibility chart and it says they are ok together. I would do some research on the kinds of tetras and angels you want. But yes, angels can be aggressive. They are cichlids, after all!

I have a ram in with my angelfish, and the angel does aggrevate the ram if he gets too close. The funny thing is that I also have a couple of little clown loaches (about 2" or so) and one of the loaches aggrevates the angelfish, by following it around all the time and nipping at its trailing fins (no damage to them). I guess the mean old angel is just getting its come-uppins.

I kept a ram with a quarter-sized angelfish in a 10 gal. and the angelfish got picked on !!!!

Well, just an update in case anyone is curious. After a weekend of steady fighting and a few minor battle injuries, the two rams are now inseparable and the best of friends.

Lesson noted for next time :D

Back
Top Bottom