Getting mixed opinions. Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most of you know I have a African Cichlid tank 75 gallon. I have 2 Synodontis, 1 African feather fin,1 upside down catfish. Can I drip acclimate 2 plecos to my tank?

I've seen on YouTube and other sites plecos with Africans BUT have been told yes it can work, may work or don't even try it.

So I'm asking is this. Do you have plecos in your African tank? Pics are welcomed.

Ive had a sailfin pleco in with my mbuna for 3 years now with no problems at all. They dont bother him and he seems fine with the PH and water parameters. I would aclimate him for a longer period of time though.

Cichlid-dude said:
Ive had a sailfin pleco in with my mbuna for 3 years now with no problems at all. They dont bother him and he seems fine with the PH and water parameters. I would aclimate him for a longer period of time though.

Ok so here was my thinking for acclimation what do you think?

5 gallon bucket, fill not even half with tap water temp matched as best I can. Air line hose from tank to bucket with know in it. Drip into bucket till it reaches top of bucket then net the pleco and put it into tank still in net to give the fish time to be curious. Doing this when the just my blue lights are on timing it right so time of release the moonlights turn on and blues go off.

Any thoughts?

Ok so here was my thinking for acclimation what do you think?

5 gallon bucket, fill not even half with tap water temp matched as best I can. Air line hose from tank to bucket with know in it. Drip into bucket till it reaches top of bucket then net the pleco and put it into tank still in net to give the fish time to be curious. Doing this when the just my blue lights are on timing it right so time of release the moonlights turn on and blues go off.

Any thoughts?

i have am albino bnp and a calico bnp with mine. My dominant male yellow lab picks on the albino from time to time but its nothing bad. i usually keep my lights off as much as possible the first couple days after i add fish, gives your pleco a chance to get used to his surrounding while still being a little more under the radar.

joel618 said:
i have am albino bnp and a calico bnp with mine. My dominant male yellow lab picks on the albino from time to time but its nothing bad. i usually keep my lights off as much as possible the first couple days after i add fish, gives your pleco a chance to get used to his surrounding while still being a little more under the radar.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea.

I did it but he got too big as he was a common. The chlids messed w him sine but he would ram them. But sometimes in other.cases the fish eat plectos eyes. So be cautious

See that's what I mean, I don't want to put the pleco in harms way. That's why I'm asking to see of there are any success story's knowing fully well that each tank/ situation is different. An it wouldn't be a common. Maybe a gold nugget.

As you know, anything with cichlids is dependent on the attitude of the fish itself, just like us humans.

Everyone has told me never put neons with my angels (which are cichlid by the way) because they will get eaten. My angels are terrified of the swarm.

Everyone told me not to put giant danios or firemouth cichlids with my JDs. Everyone swims peacefully.

I realize africans are a whole different game, but you can try. I've seen plecos do fine and I've seen plecos that have lost their eyes (or worse). If you see signs of aggression, remove the one being picked on and rehome. Sad truth is, that is the only way you'll know for sure if it will work or not, just have a contingency plan.

DragonFish71 said:
As you know, anything with cichlids is dependent on the attitude of the fish itself, just like us humans.

Everyone has told me never put neons with my angels (which are cichlid by the way) because they will get eaten. My angels are terrified of the swarm.

Everyone told me not to put giant danios or firemouth cichlids with my JDs. Everyone swims peacefully.

I realize africans are a whole different game, but you can try. I've seen plecos do fine and I've seen plecos that have lost their eyes (or worse). If you see signs of aggression, remove the one being picked on and rehome. Sad truth is, that is the only way you'll know for sure if it will work or not, just have a contingency plan.

I'd have to agree because you never know. I have a friend who has convicts, red eyed tetras, tiger barbs, plecos, fire mouths and JD's and there all doing fine. Now there's something for sure I thought he would see issues. As for me I have 6 giant danios in my tank of Africans an there doing just fine.

Thanks for your response. Sometimes I feel you could go against the grain so to speak and you might come up some interesting tank.

I mean my mystery snails although the second go around are all doing fine an so is my red tailed shark.

DragonFish71 said:

I agree. It works for too many people, you should at least try. If you have to rehome them, just put them in your 55 with the frontosas. ;)

joel618 said:
I agree. It works for too many people, you should at least try. If you have to rehome them, just put them in your 55 with the frontosas. ;)

Sounds like a plan. Is my acclimation plan up to par?

To the folks that have been successful with plecos and ARLC's thus far, I think it's worth asking- How long have you kept them together? A few months of success doesn't necessarily translate into long term success when you're talking about fish that have lifespans of 5-10 years. A lot changes in terms of aggression once the fish hit sexual maturity.

Convict, if you decide to try a pleco in your setup, the gold nugget would be one of my last suggestions, honestly. They have a pretty terrible survival rate in captivity as it is, they don't eat much algae at all, and they're extremely shy. This suggests to me that it would be next to impossible to get food to them with the hyperactive Malawis. Just a thought.

Personally I think you have enough fish in your tank already.You have the same amount of fish in your tank as I have in mine and I have 143 gallons.That's just my opinion though.Ultimately it's your choice.

Update:

Not gonna do it. Don't want to take the chance. I'm gonna stick with what I know will work. Synodontis.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've got a pleco in all 5 of my tanks and never had a problem. I ALWAYS buy 5" guys, otherwise they die due to cichlid picking. I din't even acclimate them, just floated the bag half an hour and dump them in. My pleco has been with my mbuna for over a year....

Try it

Back
Top Bottom