Getting REALLY discouraged!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, started reading the start of this thread, but couldn't face reading all 19 pages. So hopefully your tank has settled down and your not having anymore issues. A couple of things I picked up on and may or may not have been mention before:

I have a mixed cichlid tank and dispite having 2 bumblebees and other aggressive cichlids all is generally calm.
Over stocking is good as it means the more aggressive fish gets distracted by other fish ect.
Also as much as I like your set up to me it looks like all you cave stones are too close together. Try spreading them out a bit to create more individual hiding places and territory's that don't overlaps eachother too closely, that could be the source of your issues.
Also do you have an air filter. I recently lost a few fish when my air stone became disconnected over night. Over stocking mean more oxygen used?

Hope this helps

Dan

UPDATE:

Went to House Of Fins in Greenwich CT. Walked in, started talking to one of the guys name was Joe. Very nice guy extremely knowledgable. He took the time to go through all the pictures on my phone of my fish and tank (ALOT OF PICTURES)

He sat down and wrote them down. He's handwriting is a bit hard to read so i apologize if it's off. I'll try my best. We figured. I have 40 fish.

Lake Tanganyika

Triheus Moorii 2
Frontosa 2
Neolamprologus Brichardi 2

Mastacemblid eel 1
Synodontis eupterus 3
Red tail shark 1
Tri color shark 1
Giant danio 6

Lake Malawi
Metriaclima greshakei
Metriaclima estherae
Metriaclima zebra BB 3
Labidochromis caerulrus
Melanachromis Johanni 2
Copadachromis borleyi
Nimbochromis venustus 4

Unknown how many of each. Put after 2 hours of going through some videos I took and pictures he figured 40 in total in my 75 gallon running on the fx5.

Hholly said:
Wow, so where do you go from there?

Honestly he said just keep doing what I'm doing. He said I'm doing everything right and I got bad advice. He said he sees it a lot. He told me my tank is nicely done and don't worry about breaking anything down for a while. The guy was a really great guy. He said things will pan out no matter what or where there from. They adapt. He also said something I thought was interesting. He said if nobody took risks and experimented the hobby wouldn't be as fun. I dunno just something he said.

He said he has a client who has goldfish with a shark and Cichlid's. Things work and something's don't. Again this was just him talking. But either way a nice guy who took the time and he didn't have to.

ronnieroach said:
arent danio community? lol i may be off but i could sworn

Yes my man they are! I use them as dither fish. I researched and there suppose to help confuse and even help your fish in the tank. Break up the aggression even.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatf...mple-using-dither-fish-to-encourage-activity/

Interesting article! Now I know why my dg got so much more active when I switched the black skirts into his tank. They make him feel more comfortable!

Wow that's an interesting mix!!!! Lol

Do you know frontosa get very large. Altho slow growing males can be as big as 15 inches!!!!! and with your stock list not a good idea in a 75g. Also if you have two males, and frontosa are very hard to sex( venting is you only option) then things can get ugly!!! And they could even kill each other!!!

They are also piscavores (think ive spelt that wrong) but they prefer to each fish only, so I would expect your danios and sharks to someday disappear.

You only hope is that the guy at the fs got it wrong and they are neolampralogus tetricephulus which look very similar to frontosa when young!

Good luck

Ukdans1k said:
Wow that's an interesting mix!!!! Lol

Do you know frontosa get very large. Altho slow growing males can be as big as 15 inches!!!!! and with your stock list not a good idea in a 75g. Also if you have two males, and frontosa are very hard to sex( venting is you only option) then things can get ugly!!! And they could even kill each other!!!

They are also piscavores (think ive spelt that wrong) but they prefer to each fish only, so I would expect your danios and sharks to someday disappear.

You only hope is that the guy at the fs got it wrong and they are neolampralogus tetricephulus which look very similar to frontosa when young!

Good luck

Either way since the members here have also tried to figure it out with ALL the pics I posted, when I time is right and I feel like Breaking down my tank again I'll just net them and re home them. The others.... Well I have no plans on removing anymore fish. I'm frustrated enough and tore my while tank apart once already. I mean destroyed my tank to re home 4 fish I'll do the frontosas but the rest are staying.

Hi this Joe at that fish shop was a real great help to you in identifying those fish for you (y) Also as you say he made some interesting comments there? I agree if we didn't try anything different then we would never learn anything but i would also say some things shouldn't be changed,but that's a topic for a separate thread. Now we can see that you had some very bad advice there originally,its know wonder you have experienced some bad happenings in your tank:nono: I agree with the chap in the shop and let it all settle for now as they have had enough upset for the time being!
Happy new year:D

stingrays4 said:
Hi this Joe at that fish shop was a real great help to you in identifying those fish for you (y) Also as you say he made some interesting comments there? I agree if we didn't try anything different then we would never learn anything but i would also say some things shouldn't be changed,but that's a topic for a separate thread. Now we can see that you had some very bad advice there originally,its know wonder you have experienced some bad happenings in your tank:nono: I agree with the chap in the shop and let it all settle for now as they have had enough upset for the time being!
Happy new year:D

Thanks! Yeah real nice guy! It's nice when you meet someone who shares the same passion and is willing to help!! He gave me his cell and email. Like he said I'm not gonna bother anyone in there right now. Let them all be for now.

Back
Top Bottom