Getting REALLY discouraged!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I just have'em all huh?! Thanks to the LFS and there mixed tank. Anyothers I should add? I don't wanna leave anyone out.

Sorry for the trouble Convict!. You have a very aggressive stocking list for a newbie. Also you have a wide range of mbuna in that tank. I was thinking you may want to limit yourself to 3 different kinds. But a bumble bee, and an aratus....Man they will never let you have a peaceful tank. Esp once spawning starts, that is when the loose thier minds. Also if you ever expect to have fry and keep them you have to be able to break down your tank. It is dang near impossible to catch a holding female with deco in the tank. It takes me 10 min to pull all my rocks and plants out. I net the fish I want and put it back different. My labs are just about constantly holding so if I dont want to keep them I just let her spit in the main and most of the fry get eaten. Just something to think about.

Have you caught your fish yet? Have you tried having a very large stationary net, someone else can hold it, and then you chase them in with something else, like a slotted spoon. If they always go around a certain rock or something, try having the net just around the corner of it and chase them in.

Yeah, it's taken me a while to believe it but for the most part people who work in pet stores don't know squat! I love the 'mixed cichlid' tank!! They just throw whatever in there and say suuuure it'll work in ur tank too...ugh! I've bought fish, sold fish, given fish away simply cuz I was told it would work. Now I do my research before I buy, even if it means having to leave the store empty handed and coming back later (or not). You're a good fish keeper, one day your tank will settle, it's just gonna take a while. I would most def get rid of the bees and the auratus...they're prolly your biggest problem right now. Just my thoughts.

I will try again tonight to get those guys out. I'm gonna get a bigger net too! I'll get'em! I just gotta think like a fish! :)

lol I use 2 nets & a spoon to get my guys out. me holding 2 & the gf holding the spoon trying to scare them into one of my nets :)

NyteGTI said:
lol I use 2 nets & a spoon to get my guys out. me holding 2 & the gf holding the spoon trying to scare them into one of my nets :)

I'm gonna try it all tonight!! And the wife is gonna help!! Will the LFS take them? I have four 2 and 2.

Either that or the wetsuit is coming out!!! And I'm going in!! :)

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
I'm gonna try it all tonight!! And the wife is gonna help!! Will the LFS take them? I have four 2 and 2.

Yeah they should take them...unless you live in my town! lol
I hate to say it, but ur tank has so much in it you may have to take everything out :-(

NyteGTI said:
Won't John take them?

Haha read my mind! Got the other two!! Just not the bumble bees! Going to drop them off now to John. The BB's are tough! I had my whole hand in there! I rounded the other two up in a Cichlid stone and scoop the stone out, poured the fish and water in a ziplock bag and off to John they go!! After work it's wetsuit time for the BB's. IT'S GAME TIME!!!!!

When I need to remove a particular fish, I start by removing the glass top. Then I place my largest net over the top of the tank, so the fish get used to seeing it. Then at feeding time, I drop the food in and wait, net in hand till the one I want swims to the top to feed. Then swoosh and I have my fish - no tear down required. Not fool proof, but on mine it works 9 times out of 10, and is much easier than chansing them around the tank with a net, tearing stuff up. Don't know if that will help you or not.

Wy Renegade said:
When I need to remove a particular fish, I start by removing the glass top. Then I place my largest net over the top of the tank, so the fish get used to seeing it. Then at feeding time, I drop the food in and wait, net in hand till the one I want swims to the top to feed. Then swoosh and I have my fish - no tear down required. Not fool proof, but on mine it works 9 times out of 10, and is much easier than chansing them around the tank with a net, tearing stuff up. Don't know if that will help you or not.

Actually that's exactly what I did! I threw some pellets in and it worked. But the bumble bees are smart! I'll get them tonight if it takes all night I'll get'em.

Wy Renegade said:

That's a FABULOUS idea! I'll try it next time, I get tired of tearing my tank apart every time I gotta catch a fish.

Can't wait to see what happens when I get home! lol I have about 3 hours before my guy closes, so better catch them! Then I'll see if the tank settles down without those 4 in there.

Everytime I try to do this exact method my fish just look at me like "Yeah, not gonna happen".

Haha!! Those bumble bees were like yea sure!! Ya idiot! Keep trying. Oops I'm here!! Oh wait no I'm not!! There probably talking about me right now.

Sisserydoo said:
They're plotting your demise!

I'm serious I'm getting the sharks suit an going in!! I'm gonna camouflage myself as a rock and when they least expect it I'm gonna spring into action!!!

It's Rambo time now!! I just need some really cool theme music to be playing in the background and I'm set.

Convict2161 said:
I'm serious I'm getting the sharks suit an going in!! I'm gonna camouflage myself as a rock and when they least expect it I'm gonna spring into action!!!

It's Rambo time now!! I just need some really cool theme music to be playing in the background and I'm set.

Oh oh oh!!!! Disguise yourself as a rock and open your mouth!!!! When they swim in to hide...BLAMOH!!! You got em!!! hehehe

Back
Top Bottom