Getting REALLY discouraged!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I know you lose fish every now and then. But this is the 3rd fish I've lost in 2 weeks. 1 eel due to tank aggression and 2 Africans stuck to the filter. I don't know what happen before hand:( I did a water change last night. Water conditions were fine but I do a WC every weekend anyway.

Just tested water. Water temp 78. Water is crystal clear. I have 12 Anubias plants. 3 pieces of driftwood all which have been boiled and having no issues. Some real rocks and well you see from the pictures and most know my set up. I have Cichlid sand as a base and natural gravel on top.

Tank is 75 gallon

pH 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrates 10

I do everything right don't I? What's going on here? I'm getting very upset and discouraged. No matter what I do I keep losing fish! Is this gonna be a weekly thing? Because I found another dead fish stuck to the filter should I do another water change even though I did one last night?

This hobby is suppose to be fun but I hate losing fish and not have a clue as to why! Are they just on the pecking order and the more stronger Africans are just stressing them to death or nipping at them till they die?

What do I do?! Water change? Is there something going on in my tank even though water conditions are fine? I only use Prime and some flourish for the plants.

View attachment 65174

View attachment 65176

EDIT:

The filters are AC 110's and I was throwing around the idea of getting for Xmas the fluval FX5. The filter intake can't be to powerful can it? And last night one for sucked up during water change!! UGH!!!! Can we put this weekend away now!! Jeezzz!!! :(

Last edited:
Did your fish look sick at all? Yes it seems you are doing everything right. Sorry about your fish. But stay positive, if you are discouraged it will just make everything harder. These things happen, you'll be ok!

gabysapha said:
Did your fish look sick at all? Yes it seems you are doing everything right. Sorry about your fish. But stay positive, if you are discouraged it will just make everything harder. These things happen, you'll be ok!

Thanks. I was keeping an eye on one fish yes, he just didn't look right to me and about an hour later there he was on the filter. Should I do a water change?

I can feel you. I had that too not so long ago the more resereach I did on the internet. After 7 fish died on me. Heads up the more you will learn.

Sounds like you're doing everything you should be. Sometimes it just happens unfortunately :( I'm really sorry to hear that though, I understand what its like and its no fun at all!

Africans are really aggressive fish, I don't have any hands on experience but alot of people over stock their tanks to keep from loosing fish from aggression. Just a thought...

But so far you are not doing anything rong maybe your fish or too agressife to another. Than they can die from stress. Heads up bro

Sharkbait54 said:
Africans are really aggressive fish, I don't have any hands on experience but alot of people over stock their tanks to keep from loosing fish from aggression. Just a thought...

I think his tank is over stocked, but he does lots of water changes and really keeps up on everything. I think its just that eventually, the stock will just turn out how its supposed to.. If that makes sence. The fish will kill more fish if they feel cramped, my guess is that the fish are agressie so they just pick on the smaller/ weaker ones :(

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I think his tank is over stocked, but he does lots of water changes and really keeps up on everything. I think its just that eventually, the stock will just turn out how its supposed to.. If that makes sence. The fish will kill more fish if they feel cramped, my guess is that the fish are agressie so they just pick on the smaller/ weaker ones :(

I think your right. I do everything in power to assure proper living conditions. And to the other poster I feed everyother day and feed them NLS pellets.

Do I need to do another WC or am I ok? Water conditions I posted.

This has been a rough weekend!! :(

Last edited:
Check on post Malawi bloat every body like to share it with every on who has cichilds

Last edited:
I keep dwarf cichlids, so the first thing that pops in my head is the nitrates.. 10 would kill dwarfs maybe thats your problem. Also the temp and ph seems low, this could be causing stress. What about cichlid salts? Are you using them?

Convict2161 said:
Unfortunately I listened to the LFS and got them from the "mixed" tank.

I believe the bubble bee cichlid I believe is the problem they get returned to us all the time it's one of the meanest cichlids it's the one with the strips up and down and is gold and black

gallowchris said:
I keep dwarf cichlids, so the first thing that pops in my head is the nitrates.. 10 would kill dwarfs maybe thats your problem. Also the temp and ph seems low, this could be causing stress. What about cichlid salts? Are you using them?

I'll pick your post apart slowly to help answer your questions.

Salt, it's been discussed and many, almost all say it's not needed and would be a waste of my money. Although YES I have used Cichlid salt from a friend but haven't bought any for reasons stated above. Also to add I have rocks that are suppose to buffer pH and some say it works others say no. I have a base substrate of Cichlid sand which is suppose to help with pH.

pH although not in the 8 range I was told being stable would be more important. It's been a strong 7.6 from day one. A nice dark blue.

My nitrates again I was told was ok, nothing to worry about.

My temp being 78, I was also told that is a fine temp for them as long as its steady and when doing water changes I temp match with hand the best I can.

So you right here is a clear example of confusion. Your opinions are yours and others have different and so on and so on...

So... Who do I listen to? This is all new to me. If you read my posts going back months. I've asked everything from salt,temp,lighting,feeding etc....

I'll pick your post apart slowly to help answer your questions.

Salt, it's been discussed and many, almost all say it's not needed and would be a waste of my money. Although YES I have used Cichlid salt from a friend but haven't bought any for reasons stated above. Also to add I have rocks that are suppose to buffer pH and some say it works others say no. I have a base substrate of Cichlid sand which is suppose to help with pH.

pH although not in the 8 range I was told being stable would be more important. It's been a strong 7.6 from day one. A nice dark blue.

My nitrates again I was told was ok, nothing to worry about.

My temp being 78, I was also told that is a fine temp for them as long as its steady and when doing water changes I temp match with hand the best I can.

So you right here is a clear example of confusion. Your opinions are yours and others have different and so on and so on...

So... Who do I listen to? This is all new to me. If you read my posts going back months. I've asked everything from salt,temp,lighting,feeding etc....

South American cichlids are much more sensitive to nitrates. My mbuna tank usually stayed somewhere in the 20-40ppm range, though it hit 160ppm+ a few times when I got sloppy in my maintenance. You don't have a reason to be confused with any of this, as you're correct in everything you stated.

I think you would notice if it were aggression issues. They would stay isolated, often at the top corner of the tank away from the 'action'. If your parameters are normally close to what you listed, that's not an issue either. I honestly don't know what your issue is, though, I don't think from your posting that it's anything you're doing (or failing to do)

Convict2161 said:
He's the one that killed my eel!!!

Yeah they are the most aggressive fish sorry you will lose more we got a big one in yesterday that killed all the other cichlids in the tank once they start to show aggression it just gets worse

Back
Top Bottom