Getting rid of cichlids :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew.hinds

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 cichlids in a 55g and they are too aggressive so i am sadly taking them to my lfs.

drew.hinds said:
I have 4 cichlids in a 55g and they are too aggressive so i am sadly taking them to my lfs.

Okay. I am sorry to hear that :( what kind(s) are they?

Unfortunately I think the size of tank and the mix of fish you have there is the reason for the heightened aggression.
You would probably need 150 gallons plus to stand a chance with that mix.Shame as they are all nice looking fish.

they were all very small when i got them i thought i wouldve been able to get a bigger tank by now

That's the trouble when small they will cohabit very well but once they start to sexually mature a whole world of trouble starts.Its like a bomb going off and the result is death.Eventually only one fish will be left.

i have only had two cichlids die, ever.
i think selling them is whats best for them i am getting them ready to go in a few minutes

I am glad you are looking out for their well being. Sorry things didn't work out for you, let us know what your new little buddies are when you get to repopulate your tank

I have had a clown knife in that tank since november he was being eaten by the cichlids that is why i got rid of them i actually just dropped them off. it will be just a clown knife, 4 line pictus and a pleco

drew.hinds said:
its almost like the knife stopped growing or slowed down so it's unnoticeable
That'd be stunting most likely
Basically, the outer parts of the fish stop growing, but it's organs and such dont. I think of it as the equivalent of exploding

Not to be rude, but that is still grossly overstocked

Give it a rest already, he wasn't asking for stocking opinions and you responded to a 10 month old thread.

I hope it's a couple hundred gals

I hope so to for his sake so he can hear the end of this abuse.

That'd be stunting most likely
Basically, the outer parts of the fish stop growing, but it's organs and such dont. I think of it as the equivalent of exploding

You've made your point he will need a larger tank in the future but to think that a fish(who is less than a year old) that grows no more that a half inch per month is stunted in a 55 and his organs are going explode(or equivalent to)is ridiculous, so replying to everyone of his threads and regurgitating the same information only makes you look foolish and extremely rude.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I never said thats what would happen. I only said that's how I pictured it. I did not mean the fish would literally explode. Again, apologies to all concerned.

After your fish are gone maybe look into getting rams. Their still cichlids but without all the bullying. Beautiful fish too

Back
Top Bottom