Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

getting rid of my kenyis?

its always a horror film when i bought a new fish tank mates for my kenyis last time one of the new mbunas was so scared and stressed in the corner of the tank but days later he recover before that one another mbuna was picked to dead, now i bought a red zebra wich had a good size over the male kenyi but to my surprise this morning i saw the red zebra beat up with his tail almost destroyed in the corner of the tank

i don't know if my kenyis are just to aggresive the male and female are the ones who always pick on new fishes i dont know if i should get rid of then

Old 07-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had the same problem with my Kenyis. They are way more aggressive than most mbuna. I got rid of mine eventually. They're just not cut out for a community mbuna tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steli89 View Post
I had the same problem with my Kenyis. They are way more aggressive than most mbuna. I got rid of mine eventually. They're just not cut out for a community mbuna tank.

it's such a stress to have those fishes actually they are the first time of zebra mbuna i ever bought and since then i havent bought more zebras exc for the red zebra wich died early this day for the injuries
Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

Kenyi are pretty aggressive. We had to separate our male because he chased all of the other mbuna into one corner of the tank.

Also, with mbuna, never introduce one fish at a time to the tank, unless you reaquascape. A single fish at a time is just asking for that fish to become a target.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used to breed Kenyi's and they are mean as snot!! It's very difficult I find good tank mates for them. My make Kenyi was dominant over my Jack Dempsey even.
Ultimately I decided to get rid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com