Getting stones for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug4701

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will placing stones in my new tank lower the temp of the water considerably? Especially stones that have sat upon the floor in winter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread title is totally misleading... Also might consider cleaning them by soaking, and testing with vinegar to make sure they are inert, and won't affect your water quality!

Better yet give them a good scrubbing, jet spray it, boil it, jet spray again and you're good to go to have them in your tank. You could do the vinegar test, but if they're sandstone or other common rocks used for gardens, they're more than likely ok to use (never know if 1 rock gets mixed in there, so test anyways).

If you don't have a jet spray you can put them in a container place it in your bath tub and spray with shower head on highest setting.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most garden hoses should have it, but putting your thumb over the hose can also do the trick lol.

Well I understand the cleaning process... And the stones are not outside. In the winter the floor is considerably colder both in and outside. I was wondering if it would be a considerable change and some think it will. So I suppose soaking them in like warm water would be good.

Well if you went with the boiling process in cleaning it, the temp of the rock would be fine for the tank right afterwards. If you went with a different process in cleaning it, then soaking it in warm water afterwards will be good.

How about holy rock? Is that important to clean heavily?

I think it's best to clean heavily every piece of hardware/decor before you put it in the tank it's just not worth the risk otherwise is it.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom