GH level and Africans - Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
GH levels and Poor Python

Can water be too hard for African Cichlids? I did a GH test of the tank and directly out of the faucet. After 32 drops in each, I gave up. The scale only goes up to 16 anyway. I think it's safe to say that my well water is very hard. The Nitrate level is a total mess to deal with right now. Please say I don't have to bring the GH down as well, at least not simultaneously.

My new 50 ft Python totally sucks, and I don't mean in a good way. I couldn't get it to siphon right when run into the sink. Air in the tubing. So I threw it into the front yard. The speed improved a little, but the gravel cleaning is very low volume. As I said, it doesn't suck well, and 10% took forever to siphon out. And why waste all that water? I have to keep the water running into the sink so it maintains a full tubing. At least it filled very fast. No more buckets. Halleluiah for that.

I have no problems maintaining full suction with my 50ft python. I have no air in the tubing when the water is let out to the yard

cjsans said:
Can water be too hard for African Cichlids? I did a GH test of the tank and directly out of the faucet. After 32 drops in each, I gave up. The scale only goes up to 16 anyway. I think it's safe to say that my well water is very hard. The Nitrate level is a total mess to deal with right now. Please say I don't have to bring the GH down as well, at least not simultaneously.

My new 50 ft Python totally sucks, and I don't mean in a good way. I couldn't get it to siphon right when run into the sink. Air in the tubing. So I threw it into the front yard. The speed improved a little, but the gravel cleaning is very low volume. As I said, it doesn't suck well, and 10% took forever to siphon out. And why waste all that water? I have to keep the water running into the sink so it maintains a full tubing. At least it filled very fast. No more buckets. Halleluiah for that.

You need to let the water from tap sit for 24 hrs before testing it.

Thank you both. The Python worked much better today. Difference being that I didn't start with the sink this time. I just put it in the yard.

What about the GH? OK for now? As hard as it is, it must be like swimming in wet cement. Those poor fish.....

Test the GH after you get your nitrates under control...one less thing to worry about

LOL, win the battle with nitrates first.

I wouldn't worry too much 'bout the hardness for Rift Valley Africans. I'm on a well and have the proverbial liquid rock for water. My GH has been anywhere from 520 ppm (30 dH)-680 ppm (40 dH) and my KH runs from 240 ppm (14 dH)-380 ppm (23 dH). My Africans do fine and breed like crazy.

I've had a heckuva time with other fish though, especially SA species from many families.

WYite

Nitrate Battle

This morning the Nitrates are 40ppm! That's after just two 10% changes.

:dance: Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!!

Back
Top Bottom